Integrating Microsoft Access Database with ArcGIS Online

01-21-2020 10:11 AM
DanielMoye
New Contributor II

. I currently have FuturaGIS for Electric Utilities. It runs on ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 . I want to add a web based platform as a part of my GIS capabilities. I want to give others in my organization the ability to view (NOT EDIT) data, create maps, and possibly run analysis. Is it possible to connect a Microsoft Access Database to ArcGIS Online and have the data update regularly without having to manually do so? If not, then how do i create a regularly updated web version of our database for others to access? Would I need ArcGIS Enterprise to accomplish this?

5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You cannot integrate and publish a Microsoft Database  (.mdb) to ArcGIS Online.

You will need to move your database tables to a file geodatabase or and SDE

Granted you then lose the significant advantages or working with Access

0 Kudos
DanielMoye
New Contributor II

Thank you Robert, I forgot to mention that the database is currently on an SDE. Since this is the case, How would I integrate the database with ArcGIS Online? 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Technically speaking if it is in SDE then it is no longer a MS Access Database.

Can you add tables from your SDE into ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
DanielMoye
New Contributor II

Yes, I can add them into ArcMap. We currently don’t have ArcGIS Pro so I’m not sure about adding them there. There are a few other databases that are linked to the GIS and they are updated/used by other departments using separate software programs. There are multiple tables that are connected to my “Editing” map document that I work with daily. These tables contain customer data and billing information. 

0 Kudos
Hornblower5953
New Contributor II

Yes You Can

VBA

Use the ServerXMLHTTP60 object to create a request of the AGOL server.
Setup an account in ArcGIS Developers and create OAuth 2.0 Application to manage the authentification.

The trick with the update (POST), you update the ENTIRE record, INCLUDING COORDINATES, and not just the field.  So I GET the record from the FeatureLayer I want to update, do some string magic, then POST the updated record back to the FeatureLayer.

0 Kudos