How do I model two electrical lines going through one substation in a geometric network?

07-02-2019 06:05 AM
LeoLadefian2
New Contributor II

I have two separate transmission lines that enter a substation.  So I need to connect these lines to a substation point.  However, according to the diagram these lines aren't connected to each other inside the substation.  Is there any way to model this to show the substation connectivity without having the two lines connected at the substation point?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

If you draw out the substation there will be multiple transformers and buses etc.  

The different transmission lines will be feeding different buses.  

I actually drew in complete substations so accurate flow works.

The two different lines are not directly connected in the real world so don't connect them in the GIS

0 Kudos
LeoLadefian2
New Contributor II

Unfortunately we aren't getting down to that level of detail.  The substations are acting as sources and sinks as single points.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Are you tracking flow from the the Generators through transmission substations (if they exist in your system) then through the transmission lines

0 Kudos
LeoLadefian2
New Contributor II

Yes, we have some power generating substations and power delivery substations as well as generators.  When the lines go through a switching station, it seems the connectivity becomes too complex. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

don't use sinks in a electric geometric network.  If your not tracking from the generators (they would be the Source) then do not include them in your geometric network.

Make your substations the source. Do not use sinks.

0 Kudos
LeoLadefian2
New Contributor II

we are using generators, that's why I was trying to model the flow from generators to substations.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Then I think you would need to draw it in as it would appear in the wild.  Switch Stations with multiple switches and make it correct.  

Our company models from the Generator all the way to the distribution substations, via transmission subs. 

You don't need every component of the sub (we did though)

For for every switch gear you would need a point representing each direction flow can go and enable or not enable as necessary. 

0 Kudos
LeoLadefian2
New Contributor II

why do you suggest not using sinks?

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

We found sinks mess up the model.  It is electricity and goes from Sub to meter. 

There is no need for sinks in electric. 

Sinks are more useful in situations where gravity plays a roll such as sewer system.  or pumps that are a sink and a source.  A sink at every meter is not necessary as they are the end of every geometric network, or opens or open switches. 

0 Kudos