Circuit length field in Subnet line is not read network in Secondary Mesh Tier

Jump to solution
05-15-2023 05:56 AM
RomuldKiobya
New Contributor III

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.9 as a contract with the client

Our client has distribution (MV and LV) networks, Transmission, and Generation networks. But for the issue of distribution in MV networks and Transmission networks.... circuit length read perfectly. The problem come when I created LV for customers). Our  LV traditional network has service lines to customer meters AND transformer distribution lines from HRC Fuses. But because HRC Fuse has not existed as Assettype and subnetwork controller, we have decided to replace HRC Fuse with LV Network protector ...to be able to create a subnetwork controller ). And we have added a defined subtype at low voltage conductor assetgroup called Service line overhead and underground.

In Tanzania Electrical  network  Infrastructure  at the LV level 

MV transformer (11kv or 33kv to 440V)----HRC Fuse--Transformer distribution line - Service lines----Customer meters

Arcgis network ((in the Secondary Mesh Tier)

MV transformer (XFR low) connects with Network protector (replace HRC Fuse)-----LV conductor Ac overhead(replace Transformer distribution line)------Service lines overhead (Service lines)- lv services (Customer meters.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

The circuit length that is calculated is based on the units of measure of the spatial reference of your utility network dataset. So, in your case, where the units of measure are meters and you want to see it in kilometers you are correct that you will need to add a new field to your subnetwork line class and calculate the value for all your existing subnetworks.

To maintain this field going forward I would recommend you consider creating an attribute rule on your subnetwork line class to calculate this field every time a new subnetwork is created or updated. Running a script every night to recalculate this field is not recommended.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Open the Set Subnetwork Definition tool, select your low voltage tier, and look at the Subnetwork Trace Configuration > Summaries section. You will see that there either isn't a summary for calculating circuit length on this tier.

You should be able to add a summary with the function of "Add", on a network attribute of "Measured Length" into the "circuitlength" attribute. Every model is a little bit different so if some of these attribute names don't match up you should use the same configuration as in your distribution/mv tier but remove the filter (that limits it to MV conductor).

The circuit length is calculated using the measured length of all medium-voltage conductors in a subnetwork, so it would make sense that it isn't being calculated for your low-voltage tier.

RomuldKiobya
New Contributor III

Your idea gave a blueprint for a solution. But I ask what the unit of Circuit length is if it is in Meters. My client needs in KM,  can I add a new field in the Subnet line feature class and create the calculation  = Circuitlength/1000?. Attached file below

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

The circuit length that is calculated is based on the units of measure of the spatial reference of your utility network dataset. So, in your case, where the units of measure are meters and you want to see it in kilometers you are correct that you will need to add a new field to your subnetwork line class and calculate the value for all your existing subnetworks.

To maintain this field going forward I would recommend you consider creating an attribute rule on your subnetwork line class to calculate this field every time a new subnetwork is created or updated. Running a script every night to recalculate this field is not recommended.

0 Kudos
RomuldKiobya
New Contributor III

I saw this document on Esri blog on Subnetwork length https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/utility-network/subnetwork-trace-configuration.ht...

I want to change measure length to shape length to get meters

0 Kudos