Can't Add Field or Modify Domain in Electric Utility Network Sample Asset Package

04-12-2020 01:12 PM
Billy
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I'm using ArcPro 2.5, Electric Utility Network Asset Package 3.3, and SQL Database.

The Asset Package was deployed with the sample data and publish to the portal. Now when I try to add or modify a field or domain I see this warning: "Table or feature class corresponding with this view is read-only" and "The domains for this workspace are read-only". Is this the way this should work when working with a Utility Network? or Is there something that is blocking the access? I can't find any documentation or previous question regarding this and the message doesn't say way or has a link to a documentation explaining why.

I also tried with the "Add Field" tool, but I also got an error, see picture below. The error message is not very specific.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

It looks like you are working with the editor map, which is pointing to the published feature service. You will need to make a connection to the database to adjust the schema.

0 Kudos
Billy
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Michael,

Thanks for you answer.

You are right, I was using the ElectricNetworkEditor solution when I tried to add the new fields, and this solution works with the Utility Network service. My reasoning was that the ADD FIELD geoprocessing tools would be able to access the database, since the documentation of the tool doesn't indicate otherwise. I think that this tool and the others in the Fields Tools group could benefit from the addition of more details about the source of their inputs.

In the interest of giving more details, this is what I learned from Alex (Esri Technical Support) to be able to add the fields:

1. First stop the service for the utility network web layer with the server manager, otherwise the tables in the database will locked.
  2. Since I had already established the database connection, in the catalog pane, I expanded the Utility Network Dataset and right click on the feature class where I needed to add the fields, then in the pop-up menu I clicked on Design > Fields, to open the fields view.
  3. Now the fields view didn't show the message that it was "read-only", and I proceeded to add the fields and save the changes.
  4. Finally, I re-started the web layer service in the server manager. After this, the NetworkEditor map layer reflected the added fields.

In summary, to add, modify or assign: Fields, Domains, Attribute Rules, Contingent Values or Subtypes; the web layer service has to be stop, then make the changes through the database connection.  

Thanks.

GinaBrewer-Mills
New Contributor II

I have tried to follow what you said Esri suggested here, but my tables still say read only? I stopped both the Feature Service and the Simple Map Service and made a connection to the database as the unowner, and my datasets still say read-only! Any suggestions would be appreciated