Asset Numbering when moving to "GPS" a Utility Network

06-24-2020 06:25 AM
DanielMoye
New Contributor II

I will try to be brief in my explanation, so bare with me.

So, the electric utility I currently work for is not "GPS'ed". In other words, we are not using GPS receivers when staking new jobs to add to the network or making changes to the network. The current data is a combination of things: a digitized version of old paper maps, CAD based maps, imported CAD Plats and other assorted datasets (whose origins I have no idea). The entire database is off roughly 300 - 400 feet off across the entire map for any data that has an XY coordinate.

We have a grid system for numbering assets but once we work to correct the XY coordinates for all the assets on our network, the grid numbering for each asset is likely to change. This will cause problems with our OMS and CIS databases because the locations of each customer is assigned a number.

Almost forgot to mention the database is an SDE and we use Futura GIS which "backpacks" off of ESRI software.

So, I guess I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone had experience moving from a non-"GPS'ed" GIS database, where no GPS data is collected, to a GIS where GPS data is collected and used when staking?

2. How did you handle the numbering of assets once the XY coordinates for the data was changed?

3. What type of "Numbering System" workflow do you have?

4. What types of issues did you encounter when converting the data?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KatieScheurer
New Contributor II

Hi Daniel,

1. Has anyone had experience moving from a non-"GPS'ed" GIS database, where no GPS data is collected, to a GIS where GPS data is collected and used when staking? We moved our data from CAD and scanned detailed maps to a GIS where we are using GPS data collection for new projects. It is possible. If your data set is extensively large and offset, there are companies that will rectify it for you and help get you started. I personally went through the data and aligned it with 6" resolution aerial. This allowed me to combine the CAD tiles that we were using in the past, align the data, add the basic attribute information, and create connectivity. If we were to do this now I wouldn't bother until you are ready to move to the UN since you will have to create the connectivity there anyways.

2. How did you handle the numbering of assets once the XY coordinates for the data was changed? I was lucky that we did not have a grid numbering system that was in use anymore. Also, I'm not a fan of grid numbering when you can easily look up id numbers through a search in GIS either in the office or on mobile. Unless there is an extensive business reason to have a coded id number stop doing it. 

3. What type of "Numbering System" workflow do you have? As we add new assets to our system they are assigned the next available number in sequential order. We do have different structures for different asset types. Such as capacitors are 3 digits starting with 6, Transformers are 4 digits, fuses start with FS and our service id is dictated by our CIS. For the data collection itself, our engineers collect new assets with Trimble GPS units and still do a hand or digital sketch. The GPS data is downloaded by GIS staff and added to our geometric network. This process is a bit cumbersome due to some other data and time restrictions. But overall all new data is entered within 24 hrs and available online and in office. Also, make sure you have GPS dates/ accuracy recorded so you can see what was not GPS'd and what has been. 

4. What types of issues did you encounter when converting the data? Duplicate and missing features, outdated information, and connectivity completely missing (ie streetlight noted without any wire/cable to connect). Also, not sure about exact poles that have transformers or OH drops because of misalignment, which can sometimes be corrected with good aerial. Trouble establishing meter location and service lines was another expectation that needed to be adjusted. If you don't do some field verification people have a hard time being able to trust the data because there tend to be so many errors in the beginning. There has to be the understanding that just because the data is more aligned with the world does not mean it is completely correct. It needs field verification to make it better. Sometimes this caused issues with some of the older staff that believed their old paper maps were more accurate because of the discrepancies.  

Overall it has taken a few years but now it is being relied on more and more. Good Luck

Katie

DanielMoye
New Contributor II

Thank you Katie! I really appreciate the insightful and specific answers to my questions. This will certainly help me going forward.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I have that experience. My first 14 years I spent most of the time converting AutoCAD to ArcGIS. 

I have converted at least 12 electric cooperatives.  The worst one was where the person who drew it thought their units were feet when in actuality they were mm.

Unfortunately the electric cooperatives I was working with still wanted paper map books I had to offset the entire system by about 200 feet from the road centerline.  When they eventually wanted to go online I had to move the entire system to more of the real world. Like Kathy I did it myself. IF you use air photos make sure you use the same photos that someone will be viewing with later.  In our case the stock ESRI Base photos.

What I did was I created a standard 33 foot ROW buffer around the road centerlines. I then created a new attribute that I called original shapelength. I then populated it with the shape length.  I then added the primary in a second time. Definition query shape length = originalshape length and the second shape Length <> original shapelength  the <> one I then made as a large magenta line.  the second one was not selectable but I could then easily see what had been moved.  I then just when through and moved it with snapping to the buffer. 

However, in many cases  you may find that you will be able to see the actual pole, in those cases I moved it to the pole.

I would strongly recommend only doing this in ArcMap and not PRO.

As far as renumbering. I was fortunate enough to not be in a position to have that type of numbering system. We are simply Twp number, section number and then a unique 1 to three digit number  like  65-02-103

I have a lot of experience with this type of conversion so please feel free to reach out with questions.

0 Kudos