Recommendations for tablets for field use

12-14-2015 11:48 AM
KerriRasmussen3
New Contributor II

Can anyone recommend a good tablet for field workers? The biggest issue that has been brought to my attention is that it have a screen that is easy to view out in the sun. Also something durable. Thank you in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

worked for cameras  in the day... sorry... couldn't resist

image.jpeg

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

a dull bunch... found this I'm looking for recommendations for tablets for the field?

but visibility will be an issue so my suggestion isn't far off

MatthewBaber
Esri Contributor

Hi Kerri,

I understand that tablets are large investment for any organization. With the advent of mobile data solutions it is even more critical to get the correct tablet for your needs. With this in mind here are some things to consider:

1) Most ArcGIS native mobile apps work on Android 4.0 or later, iOS 8 or later, and Windows 10 tablets. As we continue to produce new apps and increase their functionalities it is important to choose an operating platform compatable with the apps you plan to use. More information on system requirements can be found here: Esri Software | ArcGIS App for Smartphones and Tablets

2 ) Screen viewability is very important, but also important is screen size.

MatthewBaber
Esri Contributor

Accidentally got cut off mid-typing:

2 ) Screen viewability is very important, but also important is screen size. Most field personnel wear gloves or other protective gear that impedes their ability to interact with a tablet. It is important to choose a tablet/gloves(they make work gloves for use with tablets)/stylus solution that will work with your field personnel. This will need to be an internal discussion.

3) Storage size. Do you need to store a lot of custom apps or data on your device? For instance do you need to work disconnected and store maps/imagery/other data on your tablet? You would want to consider increasing storage capacity for these devices.

4) Will you get these devices a mobile data service or will you rely on wifi? Either way make sure to consider your options on connectivity and the device's ability to fit this need.

Hope this helps!

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

and they are even backlit... (seriously... google them)

image.jpeg

or with a mouse

image.jpeg

KerriRasmussen3
New Contributor II

Those are some cool gloves Dan, I'll have to get myself a pair!

0 Kudos
KerriRasmussen3
New Contributor II

Thank you Matt. I think we have found a winner, just need approval from our IT department.

0 Kudos