What is the best way to get high resolution up-to-date satellite imagery into arc gis?

09-09-2020 02:17 PM
Labels (1)
JohnCudlipp
New Contributor

I am mapping breaches in estuaries for a school project and I can't figure out how to get high res satellite images into arc gis so I can create the data points with attributes at each site. I am currently using google earth pro to look at these sites, but I need a way to get the imagery into arc gis so I can create the data points for the data.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Hi John,

Do you want to visualise the imagery in Pro?

If so, in Catalog, make a folder connection to the directory where your imagery is. Then, if the imagery is of a supported type, you will be able to use it in a map. 

Bear in mind that if it is a large image (size wise) it may take a little while to render. This can be mitigated by adding the image/s to a mosaic dataset and building overviews/pyramids:

Overview of image management—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Mosaic datasets—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Should I build pyramids or overviews? 

Mark

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
JohnCudlipp
New Contributor

Do you know how to tell how old the imagery is that arcgis pro provides under the basemap imagery?

0 Kudos
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

There is a support article on how to do this:

FAQ: Is it possible to determine the date of an image from the World Imagery basemap? 

It refers to ArcMap but you can do the same in Pro.

Just bear in mind that there will not be one consistent date across the whole service. This is because the service data is collected from different sources, each with their own collection dates.

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
warrenroberts1
New Contributor II

Hi John .. where is your project?

0 Kudos