Remove a public account?

Jump to solution
04-08-2015 08:16 AM
LynnSonger
New Contributor II

I created an ArcGIS online public account for teaching purposes and now need to delete it. How can I remove my public account?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenCoubrough
Esri Contributor

In accordance with GDPR guidelines, Customer Service can now delete Public Accounts. You can send an email to accounts@esri.com along with the username for the ArcGIS Online account in question requesting deletion of that account.

Note: this scrubs all personal information from the account but it will not free up the username. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AustinDieckmeyer
New Contributor

Hi All,

Customer Service is no longer able to delete or remove accounts.  This is something that is laid out in the Terms and Conditions when an Esri Account is created.  

Thanks,

Austin Dieckmeyer

0 Kudos
HankSundermeyer
New Contributor

Can an account no longer needed be cleared of any maps and data files becoming just a blank account?

Hank Sundermeyer 

0 Kudos
PeterGoedbloed
New Contributor III

Hello Austin,

Just read the Master Agreement, but couldn't find what you meant. Can you provide a link and/or a quote?

BenCoubrough
Esri Contributor

In accordance with GDPR guidelines, Customer Service can now delete Public Accounts. You can send an email to accounts@esri.com along with the username for the ArcGIS Online account in question requesting deletion of that account.

Note: this scrubs all personal information from the account but it will not free up the username. 

MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I know this is an old post but still thought I would share an alternative way to delete an AGOL public account. As @BenCoubrough mentioned, you can send an email to accounts@esri.com and request to delete your account. However, your username will not become available to use for another account. 

In order to fully delete your public account you can follow the steps below:

1. Delete all your content and groups from your public account.
  2. Use your existing organizational account (or create a trial organizational account) to invite yourself as a member. In order to do this, you should have proper privileges. Make sure to choose the option to let users join with their existing public account.
  3. Once you accepted the invitation and joined the org, you basically converted your public account into an organizational account (temporarily)!
  4. Now log in with your original organizational account (with admin privileges), disable Esri access for the new member you added in step 2 and delete the member. By doing this, not only the member is removed from the organization but also the account is completely removed from AGOL and the username is available to use again. 
  5. Notice that if Esri Access is enabled, deleting user from the org only converts it back to a public account.

Best,

MJ

Mark_Egge
New Contributor

Wow, this is quite a workaround, but I can confirm that it works (if you appen to have an organizational account, which fortunately I have access to). Thanks!

0 Kudos