Recommend a Good laptop to use for ArcMap Pro.

01-02-2018 09:55 PM
Highlighted
New Contributor

I’m looking to purchase a new laptop computer to run ArcMap Pro for under $2300.00.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Microsoft Surface Book... I use ArcGIS Pro on it all the time (and ArcMap as well)

Get as much of a machine as you can afford.  Ram first, then chip, storage last

Surface Book... not surface Pro

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/surface/devices/surface-book/overview

You can spend less money on another machine, but ...

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Just a warning for people who are looking for new laptop for ArcGIS and find this thread. I would not buy a Microsoft Surface Book. I bought one based off this recommendation and it has been a horrible experience. Apparently, while some surface books work, others have so many problems with them that they become unusable. I bought one that met all of Esri's recommendations but could barely open Microsoft Word let alone ArcMap without freezing. After reading numerous other reviews I found out that a lot of people have problems with this laptop. 

Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

surface book II or the surface laptop? they aren't the same...

don't know of anyone that has had problems with the surface books (pool of 😎

I can only generalize 100% satisfaction having 2 of the book II's and had a surface book I as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

It was a surface book II. I returned it and got a different laptop (Lenova Flex 14) with the same specs and it works so much better. I am starting to think that I may have just gotten a bad surface book II.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Notable Contributor

Dan, what would you say is the downside of having a Surface Book? And since this thread is a year old, would you still fully recommend the Surface Book?

Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No downside other than price I suppose (but I don't pay for them ). 

I got the 16Gb I7 which is more than adequate for most stuff.

If you need anything more you should park you posterior and use a desktop and get one built for the job rather than buying a shelf product

I have had no issues with them (nor have my students). 

I tend not to use it as a tablet so that part is a bit of a  waste.

Screen is beautiful, pen and collapsible mouse are great.

Everyone will have their favs, but if you have something that works and can afford it, go for it.

I still consider a 'portable' a 'nice' and not a 'need' (remember the Osborne 1 )

Highlighted
MVP Notable Contributor

Ha! I had to look up what an Osborne 1 was. It came out the year that I was born!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

perhaps technically the first 'portable', for those that remember cards

Highlighted
New Contributor III

How does ArcGIS Pro respond to using the stylus opposed to a mouse? Is it cumbersome?

0 Kudos