Is URISA using the "P" in GISP correctly?

05-02-2020 05:30 PM
MiguelMartinez2
New Contributor II
  • What is your opinion on this question: if a person has or is doing a Masters in GIS, should he or she also pursue the URISA GIS Certification??? I have seen a lot of professionals with much higher degrees in GIS than a certification, but in their profiles, they only present themselves as GISP. I think that this certification is becoming more like a trend and is not really making the correct used of the term Professional. In most disciplines, you add the suffix “Professional” when you achieve an official license after passing an exam validated by a Department of State. So, when URISA came at the beginning with the GISP, it was nice because at that moment, there weren’t many certifications nor degrees. But nowadays, I feel that URISA has taken ownership of the term, and a lot of GIS people, thinks that a GISP is like the ultimate GIS goal. And you see a lot of job posts adding the GISP requirements. How can you require something that was created by an association?

I mean, let’s say that the US finally comes with a Professional License in GIS, what will the suffix after your last name??? And if a person has a professional license in GIS and the URISA GIS certification, will they put GISP, GISP after their names? I think that URISA should start renaming the acronym of their certification to a more accurate term like GISCERT or GISCIT or some term that really reflect that the acronym is a certification and not a professional degree.

Now, this is just an opinion, I might be wrong, what are your thoughts about this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III

Sadly, being a GISP is a loaded topic; because many organizations do not support them in professional tracts since they are not a license, such as a PE, RA, RLA. I have seen GISP get pushed to the side while PMP (which much of can correlate in GISP work) is not valued in a commensurate way.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I've never been into labels and signature blocks, nor have I ever taken the GISP test.  But you tell me; with nearly 30 years professional experience, a Bachelors Degree in Geography along with a Masters Degree in Geography with a GIS emphasis, am  gis professional? 

That should just about do it....
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

An interesting search to find that may "GIS" jobs prefer (or require) the candidate to have the GISP; Gisp Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com  I have also seen the "GISP requirement" in RFP's & RFQ's.

In full disclosure, I have the GISP and have had and hold many other certifications during my GIS and non-GIS career (like Esri, CFM, ASE, Honda Certifications, etc.). I do feel that having the test for the GISP currently is a step in the correct direction.

I do not see it as a "Professional License" but as a base line understanding of the field, not an expert (or certified) in any specific subset, so to speak.

I also see many other people put similar things in their signature block (i.e. MBA, MA, MS, etc...)

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DEWright_CA

I see many people in career that held various certifications (CNA/CNE, MCSE+I etc) but when it came to real practical understanding were dumb as a brick. This is why when in hiring processes I will say a GISP can be recommended but it is never a requirement because practical and demonstrated experience is better in many ways.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

...when it came to real practical understanding were dumb as a brick...

Yep...

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I promise you that is also true in other industries that I have worked in (i.e. automotive)

--- George T.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

No question about it. If you can take a test, you can get a set of initials after your name.  I'm not so interested in initials as I am in logical thinking and true problem solving skills.

KyleGruber
Occasional Contributor II

David Wright wrote:

I see many people in career that held various certifications (CNA/CNE, MCSE+I etc) but when it came to real practical understanding were dumb as a brick.

I think this is going to be the next motivational quote we put on our office wall.

DEWright_CA

Maybe edit my grammar a bit; replying to threads on a phone isn't always pretty.... 😉