How do students download ArcGIS Pro to their computers?

Jump to solution
10-04-2018 03:25 PM
Highlighted
New Contributor II

I have set up an organization and I can assign ArcGIS Pro licenses.  I am not sure how students actually put the ArcGIS Pro software on computers.  Is there a step by step out there somewhere?  Also, I was not the person who set up the organization, but am now the administrator.  I have heard that I need an EVA code to install the software on computers, but not sure where to find the EVA code.  Any help appreciated.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Esri Regular Contributor

B Hovis,

We absolutely recommend licensing ArcGIS Pro using a named user model in ArcGIS Online, and not Single Use or Concurrent use - it is a more efficient method, and provides a number of additional capabilities for students. It sounds like you are doing this already since you are an Administrator in your organization and can assign ArcGIS Pro licenses. Therefore, you do not need EVA codes. 

In terms of sharing the actual executable with students/staff/faculty, please take a look at this blog, titled "Best way to share ArcGIS downloads/executables". Essentially - share the files using your preferred institutional file share system, such as Box, Google Drive, etc., versus My Esri route. 

As to actual installation instructions for ArcGIS Pro, various institutions approach this differently. Here are general Install instructions from the documentation (again, recommended to bypass the My Esri step, and simply share the executable via your preferred file share). I teach and help manage an MS in GIS at Johns Hopkins and here is an example of how we distribute - ArcGIS Pro Software - GIS and Maps - Guides at Johns Hopkins University . Note that there is a way to automate the license assignment via a script, so some of the steps could be alleviated.

Please also take a look at the following blog on Best Practices on Administering ArcGIS in Education, providing some additional tips/recommendations. 

Note that enabling enterprise logins, commonly referred to as Single Sign On (SSO), is key for automating ArcGIS Administration - essentially students would login to ArcGIS Online with their university IDs, no manual account creations, etc. There are MANY advantages to this approach. 

Please take a look at Why Single Sign On for academia blog.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There are official docs somewhere, but my university has info and it works since we went through it with a mess of them this fall

ArcGIS Student Edition | MacOdrum Library 

obviously, don't mail us

Highlighted
Esri Regular Contributor

B Hovis,

We absolutely recommend licensing ArcGIS Pro using a named user model in ArcGIS Online, and not Single Use or Concurrent use - it is a more efficient method, and provides a number of additional capabilities for students. It sounds like you are doing this already since you are an Administrator in your organization and can assign ArcGIS Pro licenses. Therefore, you do not need EVA codes. 

In terms of sharing the actual executable with students/staff/faculty, please take a look at this blog, titled "Best way to share ArcGIS downloads/executables". Essentially - share the files using your preferred institutional file share system, such as Box, Google Drive, etc., versus My Esri route. 

As to actual installation instructions for ArcGIS Pro, various institutions approach this differently. Here are general Install instructions from the documentation (again, recommended to bypass the My Esri step, and simply share the executable via your preferred file share). I teach and help manage an MS in GIS at Johns Hopkins and here is an example of how we distribute - ArcGIS Pro Software - GIS and Maps - Guides at Johns Hopkins University . Note that there is a way to automate the license assignment via a script, so some of the steps could be alleviated.

Please also take a look at the following blog on Best Practices on Administering ArcGIS in Education, providing some additional tips/recommendations. 

Note that enabling enterprise logins, commonly referred to as Single Sign On (SSO), is key for automating ArcGIS Administration - essentially students would login to ArcGIS Online with their university IDs, no manual account creations, etc. There are MANY advantages to this approach. 

Please take a look at Why Single Sign On for academia blog.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Thank you very much, this will give me something to go for.  I think the confusing thing to me is that there seems to be different kinds of ways to access ArcGIS Pro depending upon the type of school organization.  Elsewhere I found information about needing to be connected to your organization before obtaining permissions to download.  When I checked, I found I was not connected even though I am an administrator. In order to be connected and obtain permissions, I needed to send an email to the original administrator who is not active with the organization any longer.  Anyway, thanks a bunch to everyone who reached out.  I have enough to get me started.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Yes, the instructions in your second reference "Install instructions. . ." is where I says saw the requirement that I be connected and obtain permissions that I mentioned above.  I didn't see a download option and thought that I needed to seek a connection. I was the administrator and thought that was connected, but apparently I am not thinking about this right.  Anyway, I wanted to add this to the answer in case someone else is confused out there.

From Download and install—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop : 

Download ArcGIS Pro and any optional setups from My Esri. To download, your Esri account must be connected to your organization with the appropriate permissions. If you don't have appropriate permissions, the option to download will not be available to you. On the My Organizations tab in My Esri, click Request permissions to your organization, which will notify your administrator to connect your Esri Account to your organization.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

Indeed, could be confusing, and we often get questions on My Esri versus ArcGIS accounts, being connected to an organization, etc. 

I am not sure if this will help bring any clarity, but here is a blog that attempts to address some of the approaches/differences. 

Good luck, and feel free to post any updates/additional questions. 

Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Therefore, you do not need EVA codes.

I realize the OP is asking about Pro -- but wanted to note for the good of the thread, we still have to futz with them because we are still teaching ArcMap, which does not support named users.  We are still teaching both ArcMap and Pro because our students go out and intern and get jobs at places are still mostly still using ArcMap!  Pro adoptions is happening but slowly. Also we are still using some older technology for a few things not available in Pro. For example we have engineers using HEC RAS and SWAT which are ArcMap based for the forseeable future.

If you need ArcMap student edition licenses, you get them directly from your Education licensing contact on request. I ask for a batch of ArcMap EVA codes at the beginning of each academic year.

0 Kudos