Choosing Workbook for Intro to GIS Course

05-29-2017 02:17 PM
Labels (1)
DominiqueEvans-Bye
New Contributor III

I'm wondering which workbook would be best for an Intro to GIS course for a community college. My goal is to have students ready to pass the Entry Level ArcGIS Desktop Exam after completing a semester long course. I am considering Getting to Know ArcGIS, GIS Tutorial 1: Basic Workbook, The GIS 20 Fundamental Skills, and Mastering ArcGIS. Does anyone have a recommendation of which one would best prepare students for the #certification exam?

Tags (2)
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Honored Contributor

Both ArcGIS 1: Introduction to GIS and ArcGIS 2: Essential Workflows would be required among others.

Please check the list of resources. ArcGIS Desktop Entry 10.4 - Preparation Resources 

For more information, see ArcGIS Desktop Entry 10.4 

You will need to wait for a few more weeks, if you are willing to attempt ArcGIS 10.5 certification.

JRosalesGIS
Esri Contributor

Great reply Jayanta!  I would have made the same suggestion.  I am the program coordinator for the Esri Technical Certification program.  If you would like any assistance with aligning Higher ED to the Entry #certification, please email the team at certification@esril.com and I'd be glad to assist you. 

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have been teaching using Mastering GIS (a book that despite my name I have no stake in). I have now taught Intro to GIS three times using this book and I love it. 

What I like about it the most is it talks about GIS topics and then later gets into the Esri specifics. This is especially important that so much open source software is becoming a part of any GIS'ers toolbox, so just knowing the ArcGIS world and terminology is not good enough. I also think that without the geography basis, you're just not that effective.

The exercises are very solid, my students have really found them useful. The book is a very useful reference after the class is over, the back has cookbooks to get you through a lot of tasks. We use the book for our "intro" and "databases" classes and return to it for a piece of a third. If you master the material in this book, I think you are at least ready to prep for the cert exam, which I understand now includes Pro. (MGIS has a Pro version coming out next year.)

I should mention our students at SD Mines are not GIS students, they are geologists, biologists, and engineers, GIS is a minor or a certification on top of another program of study.