What K-12 educators need to know about the upcoming ArcGIS Online update

03-23-2021 04:02 PM
Labels (2)
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
2 0 1,382
ArcGIS Online is updating April 13th. One new big thing is a new Map Viewer! Before you get too excited (or worried), the old one isn't going away and will remain the default in your org, renamed to Map Viewer Classic.

• GeoInquiries will continue to open maps in Map Viewer Classic through the end of the school year. You will get a notification when you first open a map about the availability of a new Map Viewer. Click "Not right now" to continue with Map Viewer Classic.
  • Entries to the Schools Mapping competition are expected to be using Map Viewer Classic, and no "extra credit" will be given to students for using the new Map Viewer.
While the new Map Viewer is bringing some great enhancements, don't let it disrupt your teaching as the school year wraps up. You can explore it and maybe test out a few of your maps in it, but there is no reason to change and use it with your classes this school year.

If you are ready to check it out, some of the GeoInquiries have been updated to use it and are available in the GeoInquiries Hub: https://geoinquiries-education.hub.arcgis.com/pages/beta-map-viewer

new Map Viewernew Map Viewer

For a detailed look at the new Map Viewer, see New Map Viewer is released - what the K-12 community should know about it.

Blog update log: 

• 3/26/21 - Updated release date to April 13th
  • 4/27/21 - Updated with link to blog with details of the new release for K-12 educators
About the Author
Our kids need GIS in their problem-solving toolboxes. I'm working to get digital maps into each K-12 classroom and the hands of each child. A long-time Esri employee, I've previously worked on Esri's mobile apps, focused on documentation and best practices. Out of the office I'm a runner often found on the trails or chasing my children.