What are the 10 most important skills, benefits, and strategies in teaching with GIS?

10-06-2021 01:53 PM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
2 1 4,323

A set of 3 recent articles explores the most important skills, benefits, and strategies in teaching with GIS:

JosephKerski_1-1633553384642.png 1)  What are the 10 most important GIS skills to nurture in teaching GIS?

JosephKerski_0-1633553356593.png   2)  What are the 10 most important educational benefits that GIS fosters?

JosephKerski_3-1633553475372.png 3)  What are 10 Key Strategies for Teaching GIS?

I trust these skills, benefits, and strategies will be useful as you reflect upon your own instruction and plan for the future.  Consider using these points as advocacy tools for why you are keen on teaching with GIS as you interact with fellow faculty, deans, and others at your colleges, universities, or schools.   This essay is also provided here as a video.

Feel free to comment below on the following:  What skill, benefit, or strategy have you found particularly useful?  Which have been left off the list that you feel should be included? 

1 Comment
SusanWS_nysm
New Contributor II

Great articles, Joseph!

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.