Select to view content in your preferred language

Telling family histories with storymaps

07-20-2022 08:27 AM
TomBaker
Esri Regular Contributor
0 0 1,804

AncestryClassroom (Ancestry.com’s K12 program) offers family history data for thousands of US school districts – and millions of students.  The AncestryClassroom licensing however can make it challenging to preform select, highly personalized tasks, like build family trees or get hints about documents for a particular family member.

ArcGIS StoryMaps (free for classroom and youth club instruction) can be a great way to capture and present family history.  Whether you want to use the timeline widget or create a map to show the movement of your family over the generations, StoryMaps offers some very flexible tools.

Unknown.png

I have used Ancestry.com and worked to build my family history off-and-on for many years.  I’m always amazed at what people accomplished, despite frequent tough times. I created a few example StoryMaps in a collection based on my real family data.  I hope some of my examples will spur you to consider building something for yourself (consider a personal license to StoryMaps.com) or by your students (using the free ArcGIS School bundle).  Teachers: Consider getting a free-tier Storymaps.com account or a personal-use ArcGIS license (includes ArcGIS StoryMaps) at $100 annually.  Either account type will allow you to keep your family or personal StoryMap beyond your tenure at your current school. 

My example StoryMap collection can be found at:  https://storymaps.com/collections/1987bac14aaf4d33af848400cc8f7576

At the time of this blog, I’ve created two demonstrations. The first StoryMap is an overview of the Baker family name-bearers over the past half dozen generations.  The second StoryMap is a focus on one particular ancestor.  I plan to add a few more examples in the future, largely to highlight features that I believe can be of benefit as you or your students tell your family histories.