Sketching ocean currents (or anything) in new Map Viewer

01-06-2022 02:26 PM
Labels (1)
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
0 2 1,228

Have you tried drawing on a map in new Map Viewer? Maybe you've heard it's easy, but not tried it yourself? Well, no more excuses. Here's a GeoInquiry that has students use sketch tools to draw different temperature ocean currents on the map, and it's a great way to try sketching yourself.2022-01-06-sketch.jpg

Once you've drawn the currents, you can check your work by turning on another layer in the map and comparing its currents to the ones you've drawn.

Basic Sketching Workflow

You can use the same basic workflow to sketch on any map.

1. Click Add sketch on the light toolbar. A sketch layer is added to the map and the Sketch pane and sketch tools appear on the map.
    NOTE: If you see Sketch instead of Add sketch, a sketch layer is already set up and you can click Sketch to start sketching.
  2. Click the sketch tool you want to draw with. Maybe you want to stamp on the map (with a point). Or perhaps a line, polygon, or text will better suit what you are sketching.
  3. Configuring the look of your sketch in the Sketch pane. Depending on the tool you are using, you'll be able to change the symbol, fill and outline colors, rotation, size, stroke pattern and width, transparency, font, text content, and text halos.
  4. In the Sketch pane you can also configure if clicking the sketch on the map shows a pop-up, and if so, the contents of the pop-up.
  5. Click the map to draw your sketch.

Liking the new tools, or wondering where something moved to? Share your experience in a comment.

Sketch resources

Looking for other GeoInquiries using the new Map Viewer? See our Hub.

Want to read more about the new sketching experience? Check out these blogs:

And as always, the Help doc is another great resource: Create sketch layers.

2 Comments
SWoodward
New Contributor II

It would be nice to be able to edit the points of a line, especially using bezier curves.

Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

@MarsWoo Sketch is designed to be pretty lightweight, but you can edit the points of a line that you've sketched. You'll need to use the select tool to select your sketch, and then you can move the vertices. 

mapViewerSketch-LineEdits-2022-03-17.gif 

About the Author
Our kids need GIS in their problem-solving toolboxes. I'm working to get digital maps into each K-12 classroom and the hands of each child. A long-time Esri employee, I've previously worked on Esri's mobile apps, focused on documentation and best practices. Out of the office I'm a runner often found on the trails or chasing my children.