Presentations and short courses in GIS in Education

10-02-2019 06:08 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
0 0 3,221

As I frequently give short courses and presentations focused on GIS in education, and as I receive requests for this content on a regular basis from the education community, I thought it would be helpful to post a collection of my most recent content here.  

Why GIS in Education Matters:  My presentation with a research focus.

Why GIS in Education Matters:  Article in Geospatial World.

History of GIS in K12 Education:  Article in xyHT magazine

Short course on useful apps in teaching and learning and 10 things you can do with ArcGIS Online.

Short course on ways you can teach with modern web-based GIS tools and data. 

Short course on 10 key skills to grow in ArcGIS Online.  

Short course on fieldwork > map > analysis > storymap > operations dashboard. 

Presentation on what geography is and why geography matters.

Presentation on why data quality matters more now than ever.

Presentation on the modern web GIS paradigm.

Presentation and short course on exploring your world through geography and beyond.

The Lakota Language Story Map and the reasons it was created.

The storymaps and the digital humanities collection.

Short course on GIS for beginners and intermediates.

Short course on predicting the weather.

Short course on fieldwork > map > analysis > storymap > operations dashboard. 

Short course on story maps - slides and short activities - the #2 link here. 

Short course on story maps - detailed activity.

Keynote address on 5 forces, 5 trends, and 5 skills critical in GIS as we look to the 2020s. 

Keynote address on geography--key for resilient communities and a healthy planet.

Lifelong learning

I hope and trust that these items will be useful in your own work.  Feel free to use and modify them and I look forward to hearing how you have used these resources. 

--Joseph Kerski

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.