Opportunity to Dig Deep into Modern GIS Tools to Explore Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Hands-on Workshop

05-07-2023 08:56 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
4 0 1,882

Join us for a key opportunity to dig deep into modern GIS tools, methods, and approaches to Explore Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion in a face-to-face, hands-on setting.   The opportunity will be a 4-day workshop, to be held from 7-10 August 2023 at the Central Pennsylvania's Community College's Gettysburg Campus.   This is a GeoTech Center Workshop, funded by the National Science Foundation.

I am proud to be one of the 4 lead instructors for this workshop, as I have worked closely with the GeoTech Center for 20 years and have great respect for their mission and achievements.  My teaching colleagues and I will be joined by several wonderful guest speakers, and, I hope, by you reading this essay and choosing to join us as well.  Space is limited to please consider the opportunity and we would love to have you join us.  Plus, get paid for doing so!   This is in one of the country's most fascinating locations, full of history and beautiful terrain.

deigraphicanimated.gif

For more information, a schedule, and the application form, see:  https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/9e0d6621c533476b8ea5db33143607e8

And my video explaining this, here.

All tools, including ArcGIS Online, Drone2Map, web mapping applications such as dashboards and story maps, and field tools such as ArcGIS Survey123 will be taught using DEI examples and all activities will be DEI focused.  We will examine inequalities, environmental justice, and selected UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) such as water and health. Participants will also hear from experts in the DEI space through guest presentations. All participants will propose a geospatial DEI project to complete during and after the workshop. A resource repository of DEI geospatial data, maps, and applications will be shared with attendees so that they can continue to develop DEI course content and applications after the workshop.

Hope to see you there!    

Tags (3)
About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.