Select to view content in your preferred language

Linking to Photographs from ArcGIS Online

08-28-2020 01:23 PM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
1 5 2,359

There are many ways to store photographs so that you can link to them and use them in ArcGIS Online.  The most popular method is probably using Flickr, Google Plus, and other photo sharing services, as I document in the attached set of guidelines. However, either because their institution prohibits the use of photo sharing sites or for technical reasons, some educators prefer to store their photographs in ArcGIS Online. 

Let's say you have uploaded some photographs to ArcGIS Online by navigating to "My Content" and then using the "Add Item" function.  How, then, do you link to the photograph once it is there in ArcGIS Online?  You cannot link to the URL that is at the top of the metadata page for that photograph.  Rather, you need to navigate to the bottom of this page to get to the actual URL where the photograph is located, as shown for a photograph I uploaded from a field trip I was on with educators in New Zealand, highlighted in yellow, below:

Rangitata Valley metadata for a photograph I took there.... Ah!

Once you have the URL, you can create a Map Note that links to that photo (shown below and in the map linked here), you can use the photo and other similarly-linked photos in a story map or other web mapping applications, and you can use them in other ways.

Rangitata Valley web map

Hmm.. working with these images and map makes me want to take another field trip back to this spectacular landscape!  Give this photo technique a try! 

5 Comments
About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.