Lesson: Connecting Surveys, Maps, Dashboards, and Story Maps

03-13-2020 11:40 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
10 2 7,920

Connecting components of modern GIS, including field surveys, dashboards, interactive maps, and multimedia maps, can help foster spatial thinking, critical thinking, and rigorous use of GIS tools and data.  This lesson guides you through the creation of a survey in Survey123, mapping the resulting data in ArcGIS Online, creating and using a Dashboard, and creating a story map.  

This lesson focuses on walkability--the degree to which communities are perceived as walkable by pedestrians, those in wheelchairs, on scooters, on bicycles, and other non-vehicle modes.  However, the same concepts can be used for any theme, from local to global—pedestrian and vehicle counts, water quality, weather observations, housing or business type, zoning, light poles, recycling bins, invasive species, litter, and other features or issues in the natural or built landscape. 

This lesson is organized in 4 parts:  
Part 1:  Creating a field survey using Survey123.                                            

Part 2:  Creating and analyzing a map from your survey data.

Part 3:  Creating a dashboard from your survey data.

Part 4:  Creating a storymap from your field data.

The attached zip file contains the lesson (in PDF and also in DOCX format so it can be easily modified) plus the images that are used in the lesson. 

Would you consider this location "walkable"?  That is the focus of this lesson.

Would you consider this location walkable?  That is the focus of this lesson.  The lesson guides you through the creation of a survey, map, dashboard, and storymap. 

2 Comments
About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.