hear the map

05-24-2021 01:44 PM
TomBaker
Esri Regular Contributor
2 2 1,539

We don't all see the same.  Some of us have varying degrees of visual impairment.  When thinking about the nearly 50 million students in the US K-12 system, that's also quite true.

Lately, I've been tinkering with maps that produce sound to indicate what is otherwise expressed visually.  I'm using some open source 'speaking' tools that basically say whatever I can pass to it.  So in this example, when a student clicks on a biome, ArcGIS passes the biome name to a javascript tool. It's a crude first pass, but interesting I think. Thus far, this little experiment works in Chrome.  

https://trbaker.github.io/edlab/hearTheMap/

If you are working on maps or map tools for those with visual impairments, include a description and URL in the comments below.  It would be great to see what others are doing to give ArcGIS a voice.

Don't forget to explore the Esri Accessibility community.

Tags (2)
2 Comments
ShanaCrosson2
New Contributor III

Hi Tom -

I don't have examples, but am consulting with a course about Disability in Public History in the fall. I'm very intrigued with your examples and the potential here. Will you keep us posted?

Shana

TomBaker
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Shana. Will do my best. Be sure to keep an eye on the Accessibility community too.  I think that's where the real progress is shared.  -t