GIS name badge generator

07-19-2021 05:56 AM
TomBaker
Esri Regular Contributor
3 4 2,521

https://esriurl.com/namebadge 

In colleges, schools, and informal education settings around the world, students and educators are often engaged in GIS technical training.  Whether you are a university professor teaching an intro GIS class this fall, a teacher trainer, or a youth group leader, most of us lead trainings, classes, or workshops from time to time.

Even if you already know the names of your learners before the training or not, documenting and visually presenting the learners’ report of their current knowledge can always be helpful.

l_thomas.pngThe GIS (Learner) Name Badge Generator asks learners to take a 20 item Likert-based survey and returns a graphic like the one above.  The graphic can be printed on a sticky-label and used as a name badge during the early hours (or days) of a new learning experience.  Some instructors have suggested making simple desk place cards that show a student’s badge.

If you are teaching virtually, the digital name badge can be used as a profile image – or even virtual wallpaper.

Digital name badges can also be submitted by learners as an assignment, indicating to you, the instructor, that learners have done some self-reflection in the process of completing the name badge survey.

As of July 16, 2021, the GIS Name Badge Generator is considered experimental. You and your learners are free to use it.  If you have questions or suggestions for improvements, send an email to tbaker@esri.com

https://esriurl.com/namebadge 

4 Comments
KatieTaladay
New Contributor

I love this as a tool to use at the start of the term and the end of the term to see where they have gained new skills as a result of the class and/or training. Thanks!

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is there a way to copy this and use it as a template for my own class with different content to survey?

TomBaker
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for your comments Katie and Curt.  

Curt, at this time, I don't have a way to share this.  The tool involves multiple third party components - so it's not just a python script (for example) required to make this work.

I am interested in the overall community response, as there may be options to explore - if demand is there.

Thanks,

Tom

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It sure would be great to have this set up so you could drive the tool with a csv or text file to define your own categories. This is useful but I don't have one class or workshop that does all these things, except maybe my intro class. It's pretty neat though I may encourage my students to use this badge as they go through our program!