Geography in Everyday Life: New Article, Infographic, Survey, and Dashboard

11-18-2022 10:23 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
2 2 2,123

My colleague Barbaree Duke at Directions Magazine and I have written an article entitled Geography in Everyday Life in 2022:  How geography is embedded in our everyday lives.  Our interest in doing so stems from our years of promoting and supporting geographic thinking and geotechnologies, and also from our longstanding respect to Dr Reg Golledge and his 2000 article that put forth several similar themes.  In our article, we:

• Discuss what has changed and what is the same in 2022 vs 2000 regarding geography education and GIS technology.
  • Created a geography in everyday life infographic.
  • Created a survey via Survey123 and a dashboard with a few short questions about how you think spatially during the day and use geographic tools and maps.  The survey is open and shareable.

The article is here:

https://www.directionsmag.com/article/11897

everydaylife.PNG

Feel free to participate in the survey, examine the resulting infographic, and to share!  

--Joseph Kerski 

2 Comments
BeckySicking
New Contributor

In school, geography all too often can be taught as memorization of place names and capitals, making it seem disconnected from everyday life, when in fact, as you point out, geography IS in life, every single day. Everything happens somewhere and geography affects so much more than we are aware of. Kudos for bringing this to our attention.

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
Absolutely - thanks for reading, and sharing, and this is exactly what we are nudging the community to get away from! --Joseph Kerski
About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.