Don't forget to keep moving and keep washing - in a spatial way!

12-22-2022 10:48 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
1 1 804

I wish to take this opportunity to tell the GIS education community that you are doing important and noble work.  Many people dream about changing the world--you are actually doing it!  You are planting seeds that will grow into forests; your students will become positive change agents in a whole host of disciplines, with spatial thinking and geotechnologies on their toolbelts.

Amidst all the good work you are doing, don't forget to stay active -- keep moving and keep washing - in a spatial way! 

See my geography stretch video -- Flex your Finland!  Elevate your Equator! 

https://youtu.be/jws9WGqRwkU  

Keep washing too!  Here is my idea to keep spatially focused while washing your hands:

https://youtu.be/nOvBrtDeIqg

My hand washing video uses the 5 Great Lakes as a framework, but you could use any group of 5 -- cities that start with A, the five largest lakes of the world, landforms, biomes, oceans, continents, countries that are landlocked, the 5 themes of geography, or something else.   

stretch_animated.gif

Give these a try in your own classroom and keep it lively, fun, and spatial!

--Joseph Kerski 

1 Comment
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

This is a lot of fun, Joseph. What a great way to mix geography with both exercise and hygiene! 

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.