Doing analysis? Map with the new Map Viewer

09-01-2021 08:30 AM
Labels (1)
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
3 1 3,178

As you likely know, Esri has a new Map Viewer. One main capability that is missing from the new Map Viewer when compared to Map Viewer Classic is analysis. Some folks aren’t migrating to the new Map Viewer as a result. I argue that you shouldn’t let that hold you back. You should still update to the newest, latest and greatest Map Viewer – even if you are doing analysis.

We are comfortable with how Map Viewer Classic has an analysis button and incorporates analysis with mapping. But needing to do analysis doesn’t need to stop you from mapping in the new Map Viewer. Let’s adjust how we think about Map Viewer Classic – think about it as your analysis workspace!

1. Open Map Viewer Classic, sign in if you haven’t already, and add the layer(s) you need for your analysis.
  2. Use the Analysis tools in Map Viewer Classic and perform the analysis your project or investigation requires. This creates a layer of the analysis results. Once you've done your analysis, close Map Viewer Classic.
    >> There are some analysis tools that don’t create a layer of results. However, their results aren’t something you’d be mapping, so you won't need to map them using the new Map Viewer. Do the analysis in Map Viewer Classic and use the results as you need. <<
  3. Open the new Map Viewer and add the layer created by the analysis to the map. Add any other layers you’d like in your map (often this includes the layer you did the analysis on). Configure your map, taking advantage of all the new Map Viewer has to offer.
    analysis.png

Yes, you will use two tools (new Map Viewer and Map Viewer Classic) where you used to use one (Map Viewer Classic). But it's worth it:

• You’ll gain many map-making enhancements. Some of my favorites include better pop-ups, clustering, group layers, and charts.
  • You’ll be able to focus on building your map-making skills in the new Map Viewer instead of splitting your focus between two viewers.
  • You’ll use the new Map Viewer as your map viewing tool with confidence that all your maps are designed for use in it.

What are you waiting for? Go ahead and migrate – make and view all your maps in the new Map Viewer and use Map Viewer Classic as your analysis workspace.

---

While this article focuses on analysis, and treating Map Viewer Classic as an analysis workspace, I could create an almost identical article arguing that you should use Map Viewer Classic as your CSV import tool, publish the imported data as a layer, then create your map in... you guessed it... the new Map Viewer.
1 Comment
JonBrandt115
New Contributor II

Kylie, you rock!

As for ESRI, what the h.e. double hockey stick?!?.  Another glitchy promise of better things to come.

P.S. Pro still mostly sucks😜

About the Author
Our kids need GIS in their problem-solving toolboxes. I'm working to get digital maps into each K-12 classroom and the hands of each child. A long-time Esri employee, I've previously worked on Esri's mobile apps, focused on documentation and best practices. Out of the office I'm a runner often found on the trails or chasing my children.