COVID-19 Esri Educator Support Office Hours

03-18-2020 09:42 AM
Labels (1)
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
5 8 5,194

Given recent events, how can you effectively teach GIS online?   Join Esri higher education team to learn about tools, data, curricular materials, and teaching approaches during these informal virtual office hours.   We’ll present resources and take your questions. Sessions will be recorded so you can watch it asynchronously if you wish.

Schedule and recordings: 

THURSDAY 19 MARCH 2020 AT 5pm Eastern, 4pm Central, 3pm Mountain, 2pm Pacific

TUESDAY 24 MARCH 2020 AT 12 Noon Eastern, 11am Central, 10am Mountain, 9am Pacific

THURSDAY 26 MARCH 2020 AT 5pm Eastern, 4pm Central, 3pm Mountain, 2pm Pacific

TUESDAY 31 MARCH 2020 AT 12 Noon Eastern, 11am Central, 10am Mountain, 9am Pacific

THURSDAY 2 APRIL 2020 AT 5pm Eastern, 4pm Central, 3pm Mountain, 2pm Pacific

TUESDAY 7 APRIL 2020 AT 12 Noon Eastern, 11am Central, 10am Mountain, 9am Pacific

THURSDAY 9 APRIL 2020 AT 5pm Eastern, 4pm Central, 3pm Mountain, 2pm Pacific

TUESDAY 14 APRIL 2020 AT 12 Noon Eastern, 11am Central, 10am Mountain, 9am Pacific

THURSDAY 16 APRIL 2020 AT 5pm Eastern, 4pm Central, 3pm Mountain, 2pm Pacific

TUESDAY 21 APRIL 2020 AT 12 Noon Eastern, 11am Central, 10am Mountain, 9am Pacific

Instructions:

Go to https://zoom.us  > JOIN A MEETING > enter code 437260684  

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://esri.zoom.us/j/437260684?pwd=Y0Fackd0TGdzL2RzYkdvaFQ4SUtGQT09
    Password: 016251

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll):  +13462487799,437260684#  or +16699006833,437260684#

Or Telephone:
    Dial:
    +1 346 248 7799 (US Toll)
    +1 669 900 6833 (US Toll)
    +1 253 215 8782 (US Toll)
    +1 301 715 8592 (US Toll)
    +1 312 626 6799 (US Toll)
    +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    877 853 5257 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 437 260 684
    International numbers available: https://esri.zoom.us/u/a56nAqJ1

8 Comments
H__CarrieBottenberg
New Contributor

Thanks for the Zoom meeting today. I actually discovered, I forgot to plug

in my webcam, afterwards! I was Zooming earlier in the day, but have been

switching computers with kids at home.

In any case, I look forward to the Tuesday meeting and appreciate the

support.

I have followed your educational resources over time. The first exercise I

used from you was something like "Finding the optimal fire tower location"

when I was a teaching assistant in 2006.

Just an FYI, at Idaho State University, we offer the following:

Geotechnology minor, Geotech Graduate Certificate and MSGIS

https://isu.edu/geotech/

thanks again,

Carrie

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Professor Carrie, thanks for joining us today!  I looked at your program and (1) it does indeed look wonderful, and as a geographer I love your focus on field work. No shortage of lava fields, mountains, rivers, and hot springs for you to look at in your part of the world, and (2) hopefully, if all returns to normal, I will see you at the NW GIS conference this semester in Boise!  We could also tag onto the conference, a visit to your campus to work with you, your faculty colleagues, and with your students, if you are interested.  --Joseph Kerski 

H__CarrieBottenberg
New Contributor

Yes, it would be great to meet up at the NW GIS Conference in Boise, next

fall. It would be cool to facilitate a visit to Idaho State in Pocatello to

meet/collaborate with faculty and students in our Geotechnology Geoscience

programs. Also, we run many field based learning field trips in the fall,

that might work with the timing of the NW Conference. I run a fall field

trip in the Sawtooth Mountains at Petit Lake, where we collect GPS & depth

measurements on kayaks. It is a spectacular trip. It would be fun to have

you and your group on the trip.

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks Carrie - (1)  Send me an email sometime as the time draws nearer and around July we will firm up plans for September.  (2) Speaking of field trips:  See my lesson on story maps - for the content I used a field trip I took with university students in Indiana last year - https://community.esri.com/community/education/blog/2019/06/24/a-hands-on-lesson-in-the-new-story-ma...   --Joseph Kerski  

GeorgianaBostean
New Contributor III

Have attended office hours 2 or 3 times so far and it was very helpful, thank you! We moved to AGOL and there are still some things that are not obvious (or maybe not possible) and I would love to ask questions at office hours, as students enter the final project stage. For example, there is a .csv available on GitHub (that is updated daily) and we want to know whether it is possible to add it as a hosted feature (service?) in order for it to update automatically, as the GitHub csv is updated. Tried adding the URL but only allows adding as a document. Also, is there a way to calculate a new field and/or change the field type of an existing field? Thank you! 

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Greetings Georgiana:

1.  Glad you enjoyed the office hours. We are done with the office hours now; but are always happy to chat here on GeoNet.  We are also thinking about hosting a monthly higher education brown bag type of webinar.  

2.  I talked with the NW GIS conference planners earlier this week; they are unsure what format it will take in September but I told them while I do love Idaho and look forward to actually going there, I am happy to conduct the keynote and workshops virtually, too.  

3.  If you have a hosted feature service, yes, you can add a field and calculate it.  You cannot change the field type of an existing field, though, to my knowledge.  But if your map is comprised of only web layers and not feature services, you will not be able to filter or add fields.  To do more with fields you need to be in ArcGIS Pro.

4.  I do not know exactly how to enable a GIThub CSV to auto-update.  Let me check with my colleague.

--Joseph Kerski 

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Georgiana:

I verified with my colleague that confirms my #3 point above that yes, a live/cloud .csv file can be added into ArcGIS Online as a Feature Layer, as follows:  

1. Login to ArcGIS Online
  2. Open a map viewer
  3. Select Add Item from Web

This will create a Feature Layer.  This may not work with some apps like Operation Dashboard widgets.   Operation Dashboard need a Feature service, not a feature layer.  The workflow will be different for a feature service:  Download the csv > create a Feature Service > update the Feature service manually or use a python script for a certain interval time (not in real time).

--Joseph Kerski

GeorgianaBostean
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for the helpful leads.

Georgiana

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.