Congratulations to the 2019 Esri Young Scholar Award Winners!

05-09-2019 12:00 PM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
5 1 9,009

Coordinated by Esri's international distributors and Esri's international and education teams, the Esri's Young Scholars Award program was launched in 2012.  Winners are honored each year at the Esri User Conference.   The program recognizes the exemplary work of current undergraduate and graduate majoring in geospatial science disciplines at international universities.  Winning entries are selected by a university panel formed by Esri's distributor in the recipient's respective country.  Award winners travel to San Diego to present their work and join nearly 20,000 GIS professionals in a week-long program of presentations, workshops, and social events.  This year, 31 Young Scholars were awarded from 6 continents, and their work spans covers topics ranging from transit, natural hazards, habitat, urban planning, historical monuments, and much more.  To accomplish their work, they performed some deeply insightful spatial analysis using Esri GIS software, examined existing and created their own spatial data sets, created web mapping applications, conducted a wide range of field work from noise monitoring to interviews, used UAV and other new tools, and more. The scholars honed their communication skills by creating graphs, charts, maps, story maps, and posters. 

See for yourself!  Use this story map that features the work that these fine Young Scholars have done that my colleague here at Esri and I created. See my video describing their work.  Explore their posters and show your students, colleagues, and others how GIS helps make wise decisions and build a better world.  Use the story map to get a sense for the diversity of scales, themes, and problems that can be addressed with GIS.  Use it to be inspired that the future of GIS work is in good hands!

Collage of a sample of the 2019 Esri Young Scholars fine work.

Collage of a sample of the exemplary work by the 2019 Esri Young Scholars. 

Congratulations to all the award winners and best wishes to you on your journey!

1 Comment
DavidDiBiase
Occasional Contributor

Joining the Esri Young Scholars will be René Unrau of the University of Münster. René is the 2019 Esri Development Center (EDC) International Student of the Year. All 27 EDC Students of the Year are profiled at https://bit.ly/2UEoSO2.

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.