Challenges and Advancement in Global GIS Education Presentation

03-22-2021 12:55 PM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
0 0 1,249

Esri has been a supporter of the remote sensing community and of the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS) for many years.  Joseph Kerski of Esri will be presenting at the 2021 ASPRS conference with a focus on Challenges and advancement in Global GIS Education.  For more about this year's conference, see: http://conferences.asprs.org/asprs-2021/sessions/).  

I can make this presentation available after the conference for anyone, upon request, who may find it useful--slides and the complete narrative.  I have placed a video of this presentation here.   

My session will take place at the following time:

10:15am Pacific Time - Friday 2 April 2021

Challenges and Advancement in Global GIS Education

Link:  https://conferences.asprs.org/class/1283/

Author Affiliation(s): Esri and University of Denver

Session: RESILIENT GEOSPATIAL EDUCATION IN THE COVID19 ERA AND BEYOND

Why and how is the university community of practice in GIS instruction adjusting and reinventing and redefining geospatial education in these disruptive COVID times? This adjustment includes considerations of data sources, instructional approaches, virtualization, portfolio and other assessment instruments, field work and development of web mapping applications, including including challenges and successes. This presentation will also discuss the expansion of geospatial technology to other disciplines and areas on campus, such as in campus facilities, and in data science, digital humanities, business, health sciences, planning, and civil engineering. This presentation will highlight the implications that these changes will have on student learning, instructor engagement, the health of programs in academia, and on society.

asprs_jjk_pres.JPG

Title slide of my 2021 ASPRS conference presentation.  

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.