Campus Tour Story Maps

06-02-2017 06:06 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
4 5 3,417

When I arrive on a university or community college campus to conduct a series of invited workshops or presentations, I typically create a story map or web map on my way to the building in which I am speaking.  I create some of these on a tablet or laptop before my presentation begins, and I use photos and videos I took on my phone with the location services "on".  I have compiled some of these maps into a gallery shown here.  I call these "introductory" story maps because the purpose of these maps are to help my audiences realize that these web maps can be created in very little time and yet can tell a compelling story.  Because I want to demonstrate that each took me just 10 to 30 minutes to create, I resist the temptation to edit them later and improve their cartography or content.  It is my hope that in so doing, those I show these maps to when I am on those campuses can think of the issues or themes that they would like to gather data on, to map, and to study.  By the way, you can find out how to create a gallery of your own maps here like the one I created. 

Campus Maps Gallery

An example of one of a map I created while I was on a campus is shown below (Texas A&M University - Gig' em Aggies!) and is linked here.

Texas A&M University Story Map

A set of maps for a different purpose that focus on college and school campuses is this set.  This set was compiled to show different uses of story maps at educational institutions, for example, to feature webcams or 3D scenes, to show how campus administrators are using mapping tools for managing campus safety and infrastructure, and to help new students to find their way around campus. As such, they typically require more time to create and maintain than my simple examples above, but even these do not require massive investments of time.  

Whatever your goals are in your research, instruction, or administration on a campus, I encourage you to explore the many options available using ArcGIS Online web mapping applications such as story maps.

5 Comments
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing these Joseph. I haven't tried a Story Map maybe this will get me to give it a shot.

When are you coming back to South Dakota -- standing invitation to talk to my classes at the South Dakota School of Mines!

DawnWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Brilliant work jkerski-esristaff‌!

RuiSantos
Esri Contributor

Great job and a nice idea indeed.

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Update to this post:

For examples using the new ArcGIS Story Maps, see this gallery:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/c66f04f1b1584a04b1650e4076232ff6

Here is one of my favorites, in part because I teach frequently there:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/c66f04f1b1584a04b1650e4076232ff6?item=3

--Joseph Kerski 

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.