Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Online June 2024 Updates - What Should Educators Be Excited About?!?!

2 weeks ago
BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor
4 6 406

As always – there are already a ton of blogs and documentation published around the recent ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS app updates that took place this June (on the evening of June 26h). The goal with this blog is not to repeat all of the news/updates that have been published, but to call out a few of the updates that I found the most exciting and pertinent for the education audience. To ensure I don’t crush everyone with the full list of updates, I’ll keep things to just 2 of the updates that excited me the most.

To dive into all of the 'What's New' - please see the following blogs/doc:

Let’s get right to it!

Web Tools!

One of the updates that I am still trying to wrap my head around… because it seems too good to be true, is the ability to create custom web tools that can be used in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer.

The capability that was just added at this release, allows users with access to ArcGIS Notebooks and the ability to ‘Publish Web Tools’ (If you are looking at the ArcGIS Online role settings, you can find the new privilege under the Administrative privileges, Content, and Publish Web Tools) to create notebooks with parameters that can be shared/published as ‘web tools’.

You can find the full web tools documentation here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/publish-a-notebook-as-a-web-tool.htm

While the analysis tools in the Map Viewer are great, they are a little limiting when it comes to more advanced analysis. The web tools update enables users to leverage the majority of the ArcPy library (which is included in ArcGIS Notebooks) with data and layers in a web map, making it really powerful. Students, researchers, or power users can design custom tools that can then be added into a web map and shared, to allow for ‘non-power’ users to leverage these custom tools. A great example of this is the Designate Bike Routes sample notebook that can be found here: https://developers.arcgis.com/python/samples/designate-bike-routes-for-commuting-professionals/  With the new web tools functionality, you could publish this entire workflow as a tool, instead of forcing users to work through the notebook.

Take a look at the full list of ArcPy libraries that are included in ArcGIS Notebooks, they include Image Analysis, Mapping, Spatial Analysis, and others. Full documentation here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/use-arcpy-in-your-notebook.htm

There are not a lot of samples that I could locate for users to get started, but I was able to locate a detailed sample/walk-through that provides a tool that returns vehicle charging stations along a route. It utilizes one of the newer functionalities of the analysis tools as well, the ability for a user to interactively add locations as inputs for the analysis.

You can find the sample notebook here: https://arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=fc5252df5b804eed8ca9f939e6d1f7fe

Map Viewer: No need to leave!

A few of the enhancements with the Map Viewer might not seem groundbreaking, but I think they will help with a lot of different teaching workflows. I for one was thrilled that you can now edit data (if editing is enabled) directly in Map Viewer tables. In the past – you could edit data in the feature layer’s details pane, but if you are working in a map and just wanted to make a few updates… that was a pain.

edit-table.gif

Also – and maybe more exciting, you can now add fields directly to a feature layer from Map Viewer. Rather than going to the item details page and adding fields, etc. – you can simply add the field right from the ‘fields’ pane. Now let’s turn the volume to 11 (triple exciting… ) because after that field is added, you can then run field calculation tools.

calculate-field.gif

Some of these enhancements will really help faculty teach and instruct a little bit more easily from one location. If you are trying to introduce field types and field calculations, you can now do all of this right from Map Viewer. In my opinion, it moves Map Viewer another step closer to being a ‘true’ data management and manipulation tool.

Close

The June 2024 update of ArcGIS Online (and all of the related apps) contains a ton of new functionality, performance enhancements, and more. I only touched on 2 specific items that excited me the most for the education community. Please refer to the blogs/documentation that I posted at the top of the blog so that you can check out all of the other updates that took place. Also – let me know in the comments if I missed something. Was there an update that we haven’t ‘shouted from the rooftops’ that others should know about?

6 Comments
patriciacdale
New Contributor III

These are game changers! I am very excited. Also, I appreciate the timing of it all so it gives us educators a few weeks to become acquainted with them and update tutorials before starting the next academic year. 

PatIampietro
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @BrianBaldwin -

Really surprised you didn't mention the Recycle Bin... This was a long-requested and awaited functionality that will better serve all users, perhaps especially educators!

BobWong
New Contributor

What to be excited about? This new version of Esri map causes many problems on my Power Bi visuals. I still prefer the old version.

Could the developer revert to the old version?

BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

@PatIampietro - Great point! A lot of the Esri communications have been pretty 'loud' about this feature, so I had assumed most people would have been aware of it (hence the lack of mention) - but you are 100% right!

@BobWong - Let us know what the specific issues are - and if they are related to the recent update - the ArcGIS Online team will want to be made aware of it immediately. Please open a ticket with Esri Support to get the issue logged and then it can get addressed!

PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

It is perhaps worth noting that in order to take advantage of the new Recycle Bin (yay!) an ArcGIS Online organization administrator needs to opt-in to enable it. The Recycle Bin is not enabled by default for existing organizations.

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Brian:

Many thanks - ArcGIS Online just keeps getting better and better.

I was also excited about the 1.  Advanced editing of features (especially lines and polys), getting more similar to ArcGIS Pro all the time, and 2.  The ability to spline text along curved features, again emulating ArcGIS Pro's functionality.  I will use both of these for my cartographic design course in Fall ! 

--Joseph Kerski 

About the Author
Brian works as a Lead Engineer at Esri to support customers in Education. Brian has worked as a lecturer in GIS, supported non-profits through his community planning work, and honestly just loves working with users to help solve their geospatial quandaries!