A Mobile Field Data Collection Set of Activities

07-06-2017 03:09 PM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
1 2 2,500

I created a mobile field data collection set of activities recently for the Esri EdUC, and wanted to share it with the wider community.  The activities include two main approaches:  (1)  ArcGIS Pro and the Collector for ArcGIS app, and (2) the Survey123 tools and app.  Both are useful for educational purposes and far beyond--in natural resources, transportation, public safety, and in many more fields.  The ArcGIS Pro and Collector section starts with adding data to an editable feature service that I set up, publishing a spreadsheet and making it editable in ArcGIS Online, using ArcGIS Pro to create a feature class with domains, publishing it to ArcGIS Online, and adding data to it in the field using the Collector app.  The Survey123 section starts with adding data to an editable feature service that I created with Survey123. The next activity involves creating a Survey123 using the Connect method involving Excel, followed by another survey along the same theme (campus infrastructure and vegetation) using the Survey123 web tools.  The activity ends with using Survey123 to collect data in the field.  

The activity is here.  

The Flickr album containing the sample images for the tree mapping exercise is here.

The Tree Collection sample CSV is here.

The example map for adding data to using Collector is here.

The example Marriott campus map for adding data to using Collector is here. * 

The example Survey123 campus vegetation map is here and the form is here.  *

The resulting Survey123 Marriott campus vegetation map from the Connect Excel method from the activity is here. * 

The resulting Survey123 Marriott campus vegetation map from the web form method from the activity is here. * 

Note that the items marked with * are shared only with those who attended the workshop at the EdUC, but you can use the activity to create your own forms and maps using the procedures provided. 

Part of the activity that uses ArcGIS Pro to create a geodatabase and a web map for field data collection.

Part of the activity described here, where ArcGIS Pro is used to create a geodatabase and a web map into which field data can be collected. 

2 Comments
BrianHovis
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you for your continuing efforts to provide such excellent exercises.

G__AndrewFricker
New Contributor II

It looks like the activity link is broken now.  Is it possible to repost, and if so, can I use this for my university course in Remote Sensing, we want to go collect some field data!

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.