3 Hands-on Workshops for the Esri Ed GIS Summit

07-05-2018 01:54 PM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
4 1 2,016

Like many of you reading this, I love to teach, and every year look forward to teaching hands-on workshops at the Esri Education GIS Summit.  It brings me joy to help educators advance in their GIS journey, and also it is extremely valuable to hear about their concerns, challenges, questions, and success stories.  This year I am serving as a teaching assistant in the story maps workshop and in a GIS for Beginners workshop.  I am also leading two workshops--Spatial Analysis in ArcGIS Online, and Survey123 for Education.  I also have been asked to give a presentation for the Esri Young Professionals Network on GIS in education.  Recognizing that not everyone can attend these sessions, I wanted to make the slides and the hands-on activities available to all via the attachments to this blog.  

1.  GIS for Beginners.  Slides.

2.  GIS for Beginners.  Activities.

3.  Spatial Analysis in ArcGIS Online.  Slides.

4.  Spatial Analysis in ArcGIS Online.  Activities.

5.  Survey123 for Education.  Slides

6.  Survey123 for Education.  Activities.

7.  My notes for my presentation about GIS in education to the Esri Young Professionals Network.

I look forward to your feedback below, and I hope these resources are helpful.

1 Comment
About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.