Select to view content in your preferred language

16 New Lessons as part of a Fundamentals of GIS Short Course

a month ago
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
6 1 762

I created 16 new lessons to support a fundamentals of GIS short course.   I have rigorously tested, taught, and refined these lessons over the past few months and wanted to make them available to the wider community so that you can use or modify them for your own purposes.  The lessons are aimed at undergraduate-level learners, but I have also used them for the GIS professional community, and one could also use them for upper secondary school students. 

The content covers are wide variety of themes (water, population, hazards, more) and scales (local to global), and is focused on web-based Software as a Service (SaaS) GIS, specifically, ArcGIS Online. The tools used include the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer, ArcGIS StoryMaps, dashboards, Survey123, instant apps, and other tools. The goal is that working through these activities, you will gain confidence in mapping, spatial thinking, working with spatial data, spatial analysis, saving, sharing, and communicating the results of your work.

To access all content, see this ArcGIS StoryMap collection:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/b9292c1494224ff8bf8ebd31424ff917    A StoryMap collection was the perfect tool to use to allow learners to quickly and easily access the activities, which are accessed through 3 story maps that you will see in the collection.  A collection also allows me to easily update the content as needed.  I encourage you to create a StoryMap collection to support your own instruction.  Alternatively, attached to this essay are 3 PDFs containing the 16 lessons.  

JosephKerski_0-1717165593343.png

The short course content is as follows:

Part 1:  Spatial is Special!  

Ways to define and conceptualize GIS

What are maps?  Why are they relevant to 21st Century decision making?

GIS software and organizations

The whys of where

Activity 1:  Spatial and attribute characteristics

The modern GIS platform:   Maps, layers, apps, data services

Part 2: Let’s Get Mapping!

Activity 2:  A field survey, map, dashboard, and story map

Activity 3:  Symbology:  Single symbol, graduated symbol, predominance                                                                maps, pie charts, ring chart maps

Activity 4:   Creating expressions; analyzing change over space and time

Activity 5:  Filtering data and working with isolines

Part 3:  Investigating Relationships

Activity 6:  Bivariate and relationship mapping

Activity 7:  Analyzing relationships with scatter plots and maps

Part 4:  How to get Data into a GIS

Activity 8:  Mapping a spreadsheet.  Discussion:  Vector data, imagery,                                                                      raster data

Activity 9:   Creating a field survey and online map

Mappy Time!  Discuss favorite maps and map-related books. 

Part 5:  Communicating Your Results 

Demonstrate:  Web Mapping applications including Living Atlas of the                                                                      World apps

Activity 10:  Creating a dashboard

Activity 11:  Creating a story map

Activity 12:  Spatial Analysis I:  Natural Hazards

Discussion on sharing – when and how to do it

Part 6:  Spatial Analysis

Activity 13:  Spatial Analysis II : Invasive species

Activity 14:  Deep learning feature extraction from satellite imagery

Activity 15:  Land Records Mapping, analysis, and visualization

Activity 16:   3D visualization and analysis

Part 7:   GIS Workflows and Considerations

GIS content organization

ArcGIS Pro and GIS tools        

Data quality and the ethics of mapping.  

Continuing your GIS journey: 
                                                             Resources for moving forward:

Books, organizations, tutorials, associations, networks, events.

One of the things I like most about using StoryMaps as teaching tools is the sidecar capabilities.  For example, in Activity 15, and in many other activities, I place the directions on the left and the interactive web map in ArcGIS Online on the right, so the student can see the instructions while they are working through the lesson on the right (or, alternatively, popping the right side into a separate tab so they will have more space in which to work). 

JosephKerski_0-1717165750471.png

Lastly, like many other rigorous sets of curriculum, developing the above was aided by collaboration and networking. For example, my work with the Wisconsin Land Information Association (WLIA) connected me to the wonderful Washington County Wisconsin GIS staff, who have created an amazing data portal, the data from which I used, with their permission, for the above Activity #15.  

Below is a screen shot from the lessons themselves.  I look forward to your reactions.

--Joseph Kerski

JosephKerski_0-1717168656499.png

1 Comment
About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.