DHC Modeling of Linear Structures

03-24-2020 12:48 PM
TomDeWitte
Esri Regular Contributor

After reviewing everyone's initial feedback on types of linear structures which should be included in the DHC data model, I have compiled an initial list.  Here is the list: 

Some specific questions I could use some help on are:

1. Tunnels:  Are there different types of tunnels.  If so, what are they?

2. Are tunnels a shared structure across multiple utility systems (hot water, steam, chilled water, water, electric, telco, etc)  systems?

3. Pipe Casings.  Are there different types of pipe casings.  If so, what are they?

4.Are Pipe casings a shared structure across multiple types of pipes (hot water, chilled water, steam, water, etc)?

5. What makes a concrete trench box different from a trench?  Is a Concrete trench box actually just a type of trench?

6. Are there different types of trenches?

7. What is the difference between a conduit and a duct?

Thanks 

Tom DeWitte

Esri, Inc

2 Replies
EricStraalman
New Contributor II

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the linear structure questions. All very valid and I'm sure that especially the end-customers dealing with DH and DC that are member of our community will be able to provide us the specifications. I want to suggest that at this point we will shall focus on the DH and DC network structure, how it is build outside, and not on the technical realization of this network using the Utility Network. My question is, if it would be possible to sketch a district heating network from A to Z. All the network elements are build in including the sensor network etc. This way, I thought, we can also visualize the relationships between the different assets. And yes, like your questions, we need to have a clear description of each and every asset. 

0 Kudos
EricStraalman
New Contributor II

What do you think? Would it be an idea to set up a working group to tackle this issue? Working Group Name: Network physical structure.

0 Kudos