Why Snippets in ArcMap 10.6/Visual Studio 2017 shows category only, no code?

07-28-2018 08:36 AM
JonHall
Occasional Contributor II

I've read the other GeoNet Q&A. I've uninstalled and reinstalled ArgGIS Desktop 10.6 SDK, on the theory that a .NET update installed after the SDK had broken some relationship between VS and ArcGIS SDK. The same problem remains.

• VS Community 2017 v15.5.5
  • Microsoft Visual Basic 2017
  • .NET v4.7.02558
  • Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
  • ProductVersion=10.6.8321 ProductName=ArcObjects SDK for the Microsoft .NET Framework

In Visual Studio 2017, Visual Basic .NET, Snippet -> Insert Snippet shows the ArcObjects category, and I can drill down into subcategories of ArcGIS snippets, but the actual snippets do not appear under any category.

Insert Snippet: ArcObjects > Geometry >   nothing appears

If I choose any of the built-in Visual Studio snippet categories, a list of little scissors icons appears with the names of code snippets that insert properly.

The snippets were installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.6\Snippets\VisualBasic\ArcObjects\Geometry\ and I can open them in a text editor. I can copy the text, omitting the open and closing XML tags, and paste it into VS, but that's stupid, and defeats the whole purpose of integration with Visual Studio that ESRI intended.

Thanks-

-Jon

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you found a solution for this yet?

0 Kudos
MichaelRutkowski
New Contributor III

I'm dealing with this same issue for ArcGIS 8.1 and Visual Studio 2019. Have you found a solution by any chance?

0 Kudos