Which courses to take to become ArcGIS Web Developer??

07-13-2015 07:16 AM
NavKa
by
New Contributor III

Hello there,

I work with ArcGIS to do analysis and create maps. My organization is interested in posting their maps on the web for public use. But I haven't worked on Web application development at all. I know now we can use ArcGIS online to create web maps but i am more interested in learning web programming so that we can customize the web applications according to our own requirements. I am mainly interested i learning ArcGIS web application development using JAVA. I was thinking to take some kind of online course so that i can learn on my own pace along with the job. If you have any course recommendation or any other resources where i can learn web application development I will greatly appreciate it.

If you think one path is better than the other or share what are my options to learn Web app development. Any or all suggestions opinions comments are welcome. Thanks a lot!!

7 Replies
FreddieGibson
Occasional Contributor III
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'll assume you mean JavaScript and not pure Java?  If so, check out

Developing Web Apps with ArcGIS API for JavaScript / Building Applications Using the ArcGIS API for ...​  

and for the Web AppBuilder developers edition specifically (disclosure, my blogs)

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder -  Developer Edition Installed

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List

the second has many links to other resources and custom widgets the community has developed.

ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Also, since you are new to web development, I would also review and keep the following close:

JavaScript Tutorial

Dojo Tutorials - Dojo Toolkit  (the JS API uses Dojo)

https://learn.jquery.com/  - you should really know this library as well

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials - this will give you an overview of web development... you should really figure out now if you're just going to use HTML/JavaScript, or HTML/JavaScript with a server language on the back-end (e.g. vb.net). I use vb/c#.net - here's some info on that, if you're interested:

Getting Started with ASP.NET 4.5 Web Forms and Visual Studio 2013 | The ASP.NET Site

Here's a link to Visual Studio Community 2013 (free - used to be known just as Visual Studio Express, but there are editions now):

Visual Studio Express

You will probably just want to stick with HTML/JavaScript for now...

NavKa
by
New Contributor III

Thanks for your fast replies but I don't have much of programming background I know basics of programming though so I was wondering if learning on my own will help or should I take some online class like one from Pennstate University Geog485, Geog489 Geog863.Penn State Online | Courses - Graduate Certificate in Geospatial Intelligence Analytics  Does anybody has any review of these classes? Thanks!

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

It doesn't hurt, but that's pricey. I know how much PSU charges from looking into their program years back... Honestly, if you have the motivation, you can teach yourself. There are a ton of online resources (as posters have mentioned) - here's another one to start with:

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/html5-css3-fundamentals-development-for-abso...

You really need a solid understanding of the web - once you have that, the JS API will be easy as it's using GIS concepts you already know about. If you have problems, you can ask questions here; another forum you'll want to keep handy is Stack Overflow:

Stack Overflow

The most important thing is to stay motivated - you can learn it... we were all beginners once!

NavKa
by
New Contributor III

Thanks for the motivation i am on it

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Nav Ka,

Good luck with you studies.  Make sure to mark the answers that you found helpful, and then mark the question as assumed answered so it will be shown as closed.

0 Kudos