What's happening to ArcMap ArcEngine and ArcObject 10.7?

04-11-2019 01:44 AM
KarlTian
New Contributor III

There is totally no information about them, yet still update to 10.7.

Is version number the only thing been updated?

I even got a notice said ArcObject is using deprecated API so there will be no further support in future version of Visual Studio.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcObjects is definitely going away in the longer run, with the retirement of ArcMap / ArcGIS for Desktop.

So your best bet, if you still need to automate stuff and don't have really advanced requirements relying on very specific ArcObjects functionality, nor need really complex UI designs, is to go with Python / ArcPy as much as possible for any development.

Python and ArcPy are available in ArcGIS Pro as well, so this is future proof. There is a difference between ArcMap (Python 2.x) and Pro (Python 3.x), but this difference is quite easy to overcome, and besides upgrading the code to be compatible with Python 3.x, you can also write code that will work in both if you test for the application name in your code. I have done that with a complex toolbox with many tools, it now runs fine in both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I would add to Marco's statements that python opens up a whole new world of packages for analysis and presentation. Scipy, NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib, to name a mere few, are well established and obviate the need to reinvent the wheel to supplement or replace GIS functionality

0 Kudos
KarlTian
New Contributor III

Dan PattersonMarco Boeringa

Thank you for reply.

Yes, I do use ArcPy for many things..But there is still lots of work done in ArcMap, not Pro. Also there is many legacy toolboxes and add-ins, a whole transition to ArcPy is too much work.

And to be honest, Pro is really not as stable and fast like ArcMap in many tasks, maybe only in 3D and some visualization staff that have to be in Pro.

0 Kudos
EricPfirman
New Contributor III

What is the roadmap for ArcGIS Engine. I have a legacy app that still uses it.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Eric

https://support.esri.com/en/other-resources/product-life-cycle 

if it is on the list, it hasn't been forgotten

Then specifically....

ArcGIS Engine Runtime Product Life Cycle  click on the link and it brings you here

Esri Support ArcGIS Engine 10.6 (10.6.1) 

0 Kudos
EricPfirman
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan. It looks like ArcGIS Engine 10.7.1 will be supported into 2025. I plan to retire in 2023 and don't want to leave my group with an application that will be obsolete in 2 years. Should I be worried about this? Will there be something similar to ArcGIS Engine that is based on ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You shouldn't worry.  Start planning for retirement now.  It is actually quite fun