Process Notifier - Develop a notification service for ArcCatalog

03-04-2016 02:30 AM
JanosSteiner
New Contributor

Hi Developers !

Keywords : ModelBuilder, filegeodatabase, national datasets - DEM, Hydrology

This question arised from my practical work at the County Administrative Board of Sweden. I am dealing with long  and demanding analyses, which needs  often lots of data and time ( between few hours to couple of days) and it can happen a full stop/break

on my workstations caused by diverse failures (data bugs, overflow, unexpected etc)

My question is next :

• Is it possible to develop a  "Process Notification"  service, which can send an e-mail or sms  from ArcCatalog  to a choosen optional device about the actual status  , i.e.   Reporting  the status  in a brief form  : [1] Finished  [2] Break or Failure  [3] Estimated time left to be finished.

Grateful for your response,

Sincerely, J.Steiner

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

shorten your title please

0 Kudos
JanosSteiner
New Contributor

Title :  Process Notifier - Develop a notification service for ArcCatalog

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

good.... now place that in the title section when you edit your post

0 Kudos
KellyChan
New Contributor II

I am curious of your a service to send an e-mail or sms from ArcCatalog requirement. Could you elaborate. Wouldn't adding a send email/sms/twilio step in Arcpy be adequate in your case.

0 Kudos
JanosSteiner
New Contributor

I am thinking on a generic solution. Did some experiments to measure resource usage (consumption) variations while ModelBuilder is running with a task in ArcCatalog. It is not easy to find a comprehensive rule. I thought, it is eligible to check when the resource usage in Windows OS with ArcCatalog has no changes, i.e no variations in resource consumption, for example during "X" minutes. This can be an indicator for "operation fulfilled" or "blocked system".

It is very strange, ESRI has not developed such practical tool  in "Geoprocessing options" or as a  Model Builder's optional tool. Working with large and  continuous datasets, even an average user has no time anymore to spend endless hours with "watching & waiting". This category of tools is a brilliant possibility to spare much of time and energy.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The only progress notifier (bar) that they have is described here

Controlling the progress dialog box—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  and

SetProgressor—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop but perhaps not appropriate or too limiting for what you want to do.

0 Kudos
KellyChan
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

external libraries would be an option, I was referring to builtin

0 Kudos
JanosSteiner
New Contributor

Hi,

This tool can help to the certain extent, but it is not offering 100% success to control an application running

on a distant machine. Use this tool "AS-IS" to achive experiences with your applications resource consumption behavior

and to make your work probably a bit convenient.

Short description:

The philosophy behind this solution is to help users which aiming to control an application running on the distant computer. The notification system uses desktop screenshots via E-mail.

This application offering a MEM [ Megabytes] and CPU [ % ] "mapping" tool which calculates the MEM and CPU consumption mean values from a list of discrete MEM and CPU registrated in every 1 sec values within the user defined intervals of "trigger time". The exported plot file's csv format is an easy-to-use alternative in statistical analyses.

The resource "mapping" process gives realistic peak-values, which can be useful to estimate, for the choosen process, optimal Filter-settings. If any of the criterias from the Filter fulfilled or according to the user defined time intervals duration, an e-mail notification will be sent to user's mailbox.

[ http://geomatika.mapcat.net/COMMON/Projects/process_notifier_v0.41.zip ]  , 286 KB

0 Kudos