PostGIS integration with ArcGIS - is it possible to load and edit data from a PostgreSQL database into ArcGIS without an enterprise license?

09-14-2017 01:38 AM
DavidRalston
New Contributor II

Linking arcgis and postgresql without and enterprise license

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes. That is possible. You can create a spatial database using PostGIS, and then connect to the PostgreSQL database from ArcCatalog (Add Database Connection). Connect to PostgreSQL from ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Think Location
0 Kudos
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

But can you edit?  From what I've read and tried, the answer is no.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hmmm... I think you got that right. 

You can get Read-Only access to the PostGIS data using Query Layers.

For editing, you will need to enable Enterprise Geodatabase, for which ArcGIS Enterprise (Server) License is required.

Think Location
0 Kudos
NicoTripcevich
New Contributor II

Is this still true? I'm trying in ArcPro 2.5.

Disappointing ESRI. QGIS wins again.

ThomasL
Occasional Contributor

You can access PostgreSQL/PostGIS spatial databases without enabling them as an ESRI Enterprise Geodatabase:

"Unless you have specific needs for an ESRI Enterprise Geodatabase due to ArcGIS editing workflows, need for advanced geodatabase data types, relationship classes etc, you may be able to simply connect to the spatial database using ArcGIS Query Layersand not enable an Enterprise Geodatabase.

You just need to run the Add Incrementing ID Field tool against any spatial table in the PostGreSQL/PostGIS database if there is no suitable unique ID field for each record in the table. You will then be able to add a Query Layer including spatial columns to ArcGIS.

If your requirements are just "read-only" access of PostGIS data maintained by another software package, this setup may suffice.

I have run such a setup against large PostGIS databases with great success."

Source: Marco Boeringa Champion at https://community.esri.com/thread/240840-arcgis-pro-create-enterprise-geodatabase-not-finishing