How do I backup the the server records for Survey123?

02-25-2017 02:55 PM
DavidNicholls
New Contributor

Creating a package does not copy the value of the choice fields; it records the generic "choice1, choice2, choice3, ..." not my values or labels attached to the 'choice(s)'.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you attach the XLSForm to this thread so I can have a look?

0 Kudos
DavidNicholls
New Contributor

Thank you, that is generous.

I think I have done the right things.

In Survey123 Connect (Mac)

My Survey Designs - On the Survey-project CameraTrap 6, create a new survey.

Create new survey from Camera Trap 3 copy - the last functioning survey-project. Give the clone a title.

New Survey-project icon displayed. Double Click

Form Preview displayed.

Click on spreadsheet icon - Open XLSForm spreadsheet.

Change the field names in column B , the GDB fields, from the generic “field_0, …. to properly formed 10-20 ch meaningful names.

Do not save exl spreadsheet but do click the Update survey XLSForm. Apparently updates.

Add a second picture field - image. Updates.

Have a look at Schema Preview. This does not match the revised XLSForm! Why not?

Form Preview does not match the revised XLS Form. No second image field.

I tried to publish but there Token error - more or less as expected because I had earlier got the error message previously reported.

Attached

- two error messages;

- My XLSForm, as requested

- my desktop

Thank you. I found the Web Designer a treat- that worked quickly and easily. The need to have my own copy drove me to try and backup. That exposed the difference between the Survey123-generated field names and list choices verses my labels. That forced me to try Connect to fix this issue and to give me access to a smarter form.

I think the only changes I made to last working version CameraTrap 3 copy and CameraTrap 6 is the change to the DB fields and the addition of a second image-photo field.

I am really grateful for your willingness to help.

David

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi,

attaching XLSForm with some changes.

You were getting an error because some expressions in the relevant column were till referencing the old field names.

I changed the type of question for Date Now from datetime to date. The reason is  that if you plan to also add a separate  question for the  time it does not make sense to ask twice for the time. You could alternatively put the question type back to datetime and then remove  the next time question.   If you choose to go with a datetime question I suggest you set the value of the default  column to now() rather than today(), because otherwise the datetime widget gets initialized to todays date at the beginning of the day, rather than the current date and time.

You may want to use  the spinner appearance for your decimal questions. You can also use the multiline appearance in text questions where you  want people to add lengthy descriptions.

In general, when working with Survey123 Connect you will want to always save changes in Microsoft Excel. This will ensure that the Preview is up to date. When you save the Excel file, Connect will attempt to update the preview immediately.

0 Kudos
DavidNicholls
New Contributor

Thank you so much. Let me add these ideas. Originally (v 3) I used date now and time now but when I found the way the date was being displayed I began experimenting with Datetime now. I agree I do not need the redundancy in a final version.

Did you intend to attach your corrections to my Camera Trap 6? I cannot see the attachment.

I changed the field names and updated without getting an error. But when I went to publish I did get an error - because Survey123 found there were references to old field names. I presume I should have searched for the old field names to ensure there were unchanged instances?

I am very grateful for your support. It is a v impressive service.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

The attachment with my edits is in my last comment, but I will attach it again to this comment as well.  It looks like you have things under control now anyways.  The warning you are getting when attempting to publish is telling you that the feature service database schema in your XLSFile and the one in your already published feature service do not match.  This is expected if you change the field names.  Since you are publishing a survey that still people did not use to capture data, this should be no problem to you:   Simply say that you understand that a new feature service will be created and proceed to publish.  You should only worry about that message when you are publishing a survey on which people have been working and submitting data.

0 Kudos
DavidNicholls
New Contributor

Ismael

This is so distressing. I cannot see the attachment in either emails. Is it in the GeoNet records not the email?

In the absence of your returned file, I tried to edit the EXL file I sent you

I made sure I changed all the field_x names everywhere in the spreadsheet.

But when I gave that file to Survey123 Connect, I got a flood of, well 10+, errors, warnings.

I hate having to ask for help finding the attachment, but I have to, if we are to gain from all your kindness.

David

PS I cannot see GeoNet at the moment but I fixing that.

0 Kudos
DavidNicholls
New Contributor

I

Update - I eventually got on to GeoNet and had no difficult finding the attachment - and I have successful opened it in Survey123 Connect. And the form preview looks like I expected and wanted. Many thanks. Let me analyse the changes made verses the ones I made.

I feel a lot better now. Thanks again for your time. And I got the messages on the Date specifications and the way Survey123 handles them.

D

0 Kudos