How can I tell which database is being used by ArcGIS Server service

Jump to solution
01-29-2018 10:53 AM
MatthewSanders1
New Contributor III

I'm new to ArcGIS as a whole and I'm put on a last minute project, so I'm giving myself a crash course in GIS, ArcGIS, and the ArcGIS components. 

I'm working with an existing Map Service on a local ArcGIS 10.2 server. I was given an address to a database server and told it was being used as the database for that service, but the ArcGIS Manager portal shows no data stores nor does it show any tie to the database server.

How can I tell where a map service is getting its data from?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

In Manager, if I bring up the "Service Workspaces" dialog (as shown here) the only tab available is the "Copied" tab, and there is only one datasheet listed. The file path listed is on the ArcGIS server itself, and not the database server. Does this mean that the ArcGIS server has its own local copy of the database server's info?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

If the individual who created the mapservice did not register the database connection with AGS and data is allowed to be copied locally to the AGS server(s), then that is where the data resides for the working mapservice.

You would want to go to the location where AGS saves a copy of the mxd that is published so it would show the original location of the data source before the data was copied locally to AGS server(s). This location would be something like:

"Data storage location set during install"\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\"AGS Folder - whatever you named it"\"Mapservice name - whatever you named it".MapServer\extracted\v101

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

If the individual who created the mapservice did not register the database connection with AGS and data is allowed to be copied locally to the AGS server(s), then that is where the data resides for the working mapservice.

You would want to go to the location where AGS saves a copy of the mxd that is published so it would show the original location of the data source before the data was copied locally to AGS server(s). This location would be something like:

"Data storage location set during install"\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\"AGS Folder - whatever you named it"\"Mapservice name - whatever you named it".MapServer\extracted\v101

ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

To expand upon Michael's answer, you should be able to see the source in "manifest.xml"... check out:

<OnPremiseConnectionString>ENCRYPTED_PASSWORD=0004545ee03403403400340fdf;SERVER=SQLSERVER100;INSTANCE=sde:sqlserver:MYSQLDB100\S2012;DBCLIENT=sqlserver;DB_CONNECTION_PROPERTIES=MYSQLDB100\S2012;DATABASE=MY_DATABASE;USER=My_MapUser;AUTHENTICATION_MODE=DBMS</OnPremiseConnectionString>
MatthewSanders1
New Contributor III

Thank you! This is what I needed. It turned out that the database server was somehow unregistered as a data store, which is why I couldn't find anything that pointed that direction. Whoops! 

Your answer was still very helpful, though. Thanks again!

0 Kudos