Help With Spatial Views in Oracle

Jump to solution
06-17-2015 03:13 PM
DavidYamamoto
New Contributor

Hello Kind People. I'm trying to create a database view in Oracle, joining polygon feature class in the geodatabase to an attribute table. I'm using the ArcCatalog tool Data Management Tools --> General --> Create Database View. I specify all of the input parameters, including the SQL to define the view. I'm including the OBJECTID and SHAPE field from the feature class. The tool runs fine, but when I look at the view in Catalog, it's just a data table. The SHAPE column is of type LONG. I thought I should be able to load the view up in ArcMap and see the geometries. Am I misssing something here? Than you very much in advance for any and all assistance. David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SamuelTompsett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi David,

You shouldn't have to do that. You can use either the migrate storage tool, or change the configuration keyword with copy/paste of the feature class.

ArcGIS Desktop

-Sam

View solution in original post

13 Replies
SamuelTompsett

Hi David,

Can you provide more information about the polygon feature class? What is the geometry storage type of the feature class?

Can you right click on the database connection and create a new view?

-Sam

0 Kudos
DavidYamamoto
New Contributor

Hell Samuel. Thank you for your help. Yes, I am able to right click on the database connection in ArcCatalog and create a view. However, when I look at the created view in ArcCatalog it appers as a simple data table, not a polygon feature. When I look at the field type of the polygon feature in ArcCatalog I see that it is of type "Geometry". But if I look at the table in Oracle SQL Developer, the SHAPE column is of data type NUMBER.

Thank you again. David

0 Kudos
SamuelTompsett

Hi David,

Please go to the properties of the feature class in ArcCatalog, particularly the General tab.

You will see a section called Geometry Properties. What does the Storage part say?

The reason I ask is because views created with feature classes in Binary storage, will display strange behavior. We want to make sure the geometry storage for the feature class is either ST_Geometry or SDO_Geometry for Oracle when creating views in ArcCatalog or ArcMap.

-Sam

DavidYamamoto
New Contributor

Hello Samuel. I just went to ArcCatalog and checked the general tab of the properies on the feature class. Under Geometry Properties, it states "Storage: High Precision usning Esri Binary spatial type. Is that the problem? Thank you again for all of your help. David

0 Kudos
SamuelTompsett

Hi David,

That is most likely the problem.

What version is the geodatabase?

-Sam

0 Kudos
DavidYamamoto
New Contributor

We're running Oracle 11g. Okay, I found this:

Add the ST_Geometry type to an Oracle database—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

I will follow the steps and see if this fixes the problem. I will let you know if it works. Thank you again.

David

0 Kudos
SamuelTompsett

Hi David,

You shouldn't have to do that. You can use either the migrate storage tool, or change the configuration keyword with copy/paste of the feature class.

ArcGIS Desktop

-Sam

DavidYamamoto
New Contributor

Okay, great. I'm glad I don't have to do that. Let me give this a try. David

0 Kudos
SamuelTompsett

Also, make sure you have a backup of the database or feature class. Once you move to ST_Geometry, you cannot use the migrate storage to migrate back to Binary.

-Sam