Export .dwg to Shape file

11-25-2016 10:40 PM
chandrasekhar_reddyguda
New Contributor III

Hi!

I have some cad files which is from autocad2016.

User entered few attributes( object data) for all types geometries.

When I am converting these to shape (using ArcMap 10.2.2) the object data not getting  in shape file.

Please suggest me how can I get this object information in shape file.Either programmatically or manually.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The "attributes" in the CAD are just annotations, and not stored in an attribute table.

I would suggest you to convert the CAD data to File GDB Feature class. And the CAD annotation to Annotation Feature Class.

CAD to Geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Import CAD Annotation—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Think Location
chandrasekhar_reddyguda
New Contributor III

Thank you Jayanta for quick reply and i will try ,update you the same  on Monday

0 Kudos
chandrasekhar_reddyguda
New Contributor III

Hi Jayanta !

I tried what you suggested , but here scenario is different  let me explain

Example if user drawn any polygon on AutoCad need to be enter some attributes like owner name ,house number ..etc. finally user has to deliver drawing files as well as shape files to customer.

In AutoCad manually we can use MapExport command to export single geometry type of feature. So each type we have to do manually for these ~ 7000 sheets of data.

I am familiar with Arcobjects .net or python, hence looking for automation process.  Would you please look into this and provide me a better solution.

Regards,

Chandra Sekhar

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Another thing to try is to "save down" the CAD file to an older version before converting.  You will likely need to do this as AutoCAD 2016 is not supported by ArcGIS 10.2.2.  The most recent CAD format that is supported is AutoCAD 2014.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) - Supported CAD formats in ArcGIS

Chris Donohue, GISP