Convert points to lines following the curves of an existing line (road) feature

Jump to solution
07-13-2016 07:44 AM
JoeD
by
New Contributor II

Hey:

So, I have received a shapefile which contains the start and end points for guardrails in an area. I need to convert the start and end points to a line that connects them - this alone is easy.

However, I do not want the line connecting the points to be straight, I want it to follow the curvature of the roads. Further, I want the offset the guardrails have from the road to be maintained in the output line feature class.

I presently have 3 feature classes to work with: 1) a roads line feature class; 2) a guardrail end point feature class; and, 3) a guardrail start point feature class.

Basically, if I have a start point a (x1, y1) and end point a (x3, y5) and a road segment starting at x1, y2 which turns  90 degrees at x2, y2 and ends at x2, y5, I would like to create a line to connect start point a and end point a that turns 90 degrees at x3, y1 rather than taking a direct line path.

I can't imagine there is a tool that comes with ArcGIS to do this, but, has anyone found a way to automate this procedure? What about if the offset from the road varies (e.g. the start point is 1 metre from the road and the end point is 1.5 metres from the road)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

too many specific requirements, scripting would be the best option, but the effort spent doing that would have to be weighed against the time spent doing it manually

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

too many specific requirements, scripting would be the best option, but the effort spent doing that would have to be weighed against the time spent doing it manually

JoeD
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.

I thought it might need to be scripted. I was just hoping someone had made the script already and I was just wording it wrong in my Google search. It was a long shot, but, worth a try.

Suppose I know what I have to look forward to.

Cheers.

0 Kudos