Concurrent License - reclaim the license - auto process

05-17-2017 12:04 PM
SalmanRafiq
New Contributor II

Hi All,

We do have Concurrent license model and recently we have faced that all license were in use although one of the user was not even using the licence. so we called this situation as an Hung license. we know that we can manually reclaim the license but we are wondering if we can set up a process where system see that user is inactive for certain time and automatically release that license.

Any comments or solution?

Regards

SR

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You may want to look at this thread for some suggestions Remove hung licenses using lmutil lmremove changed? 

and nd when searching for that, I found the wiki which looks to have all (or most) things related to esri licensing covered  Field Guide to Esri Licensing - GIS Wiki | The GIS Encyclopedia 

SalmanRafiq
New Contributor II

thanks Rebecca for your message but the solution mentioned at your shared URL  does not work on ArcGIS version 10.0 or above. but still thanks for trying

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If I have a user that has a license clicked on in ArcMap but is not responding, I have been known to block their license using the license.opt file and restart the license server. 

Using the options file—License Manager Guide | ArcGIS Desktop 

I know of no automated process.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I can't confirm whether the suggestion in this thread Releasing Inactive Licenses in 10?  works or not, but might also be worth a try.

If you don't mind the license manager restarting once a day, maybe using your OS tools to schedule the restart at midnight will help.  However, if the software is open, but maybe just idle, a license will still be grabbed again.

By the way,  I define a hung license as one that is checked out without the user having the software open.  An inactive license, one that is sitting idle but the software is open, will continue grabbing a license, even if you forced a disconnect, unless you do as Curtis suggested with the options file, from my experience.