Calculate driving distance and time from 2 lat/lon points

08-10-2015 10:16 AM
JerryW
by
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm researching if it is possible with ArcGIS to calculate driving time and distance for 2 latitude and longitude points?

I'm unable to use any 3rd party controls or maps.  If possible it has to all be generated locally to my machine.  I'm working with very restricted data.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

not sure I follow since you will need a road map as a minimum since it will contain the geometry at least, and if properly forumulated, the speed limits.  Your question is largely unanswerable in its current form.

0 Kudos
JerryW
by
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

Sorry my explanation wasn't clear.  I need maps but I can't use an api or service where the data leaves my building.  I can download maps from the census and other places.

thank you

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if you intend to do serious routing, then you will have to invest in an appropriate network covering the area of your interests.  Beyond that then the Network Analyst extension is your best choice for solving real-world routing​ questions.  In our area, our municipality has an appropriate network...regionally...less so...the bigger the area..just use google maps

0 Kudos
JerryW
by
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

thank you so much for your help.  My main issue that I'm having is I have to find a way to do this locally on a non-networked computer.  We have highly sensitive data that can not be sent out.   I was hoping there were maps I could download of the US and use a process within ArcGIS to calculate the distance and time.

Is this possible?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I only work with locally stored data sets, but at a local municipal level when the need calls.  The larger the area the dataset covers, the less suited for a true network analysis, however, I am sure that your government published a generic road file which would give you some level of general analysis capabilities.  It would probably only be able to be based upon travel distance. 

0 Kudos