ArcMap 10.3.1 on Windows 10

Jump to solution
08-29-2015 11:27 AM
OmarNavarro
New Contributor

When trying to open ArcMap 10.3.1, the programs fails to launch. Are there any solutions to this issue running Windows 10?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Xander Bakker  ... I will clarify for the benefit of others.

• I already know that it wouldn't be supported until esri was done testing...  (like sounding the all clear after the fire department has left)
  • I was surprised that the announcement didn't come out well in advance of the Windows 10 release... (perhaps they didn't know and were as shocked as everyone else, prior knowledge would have provided them with multiple chances to ward off the questions we now see)
  • the reality is .... people are actually using it...I am reporting my reality of use... (someone has to put their foot in the water and report on the presence of pirannas...otherwise everyone will stay onshore)
  • caveats for full disclosure for everyone else ...
    • ...pristine local install of advanced ArcGIS with all extensions
    • ...a new machine, upgraded from Windows 8.1, three weeks before Windows 10 release
    • ...no network stuff, either data source or saving
    • ... installed and used only in Canada
    • ... probably applies in Columbia
0 Kudos
OmarNavarro
New Contributor

After reinstalling both windows 10 and then ArcGIS 10.3; everything seems to be working fine.

0 Kudos
DanRoberts1
New Contributor

I am having the same problem.  Afer spending a few hours on the phone with great support from ESRI, she had me install a secondary user account. ArcMap launched from the secondary account, but still wont launch from the primary account......Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
CoreySmolik
New Contributor

I am having the same problems.  I told our IT department to stop upgrading operating systems for GIS users until we found a solution.  (Waiting is not an option right?  we only have a few more months for free Windows upgrades!)

I have ArcGIS working intermittently on 5 Windows 10 machines.  Here is the kitchen sink approach I used to finally get one of them working normally.  (if nothing else, maybe one of these might help)   I will try it on the others to see if it is a repeatable fix.

My symptoms were the application failing to startup (very commonly without even showing the splash screen), the application starting up but all of the connections had red exclamation points, and multiple error messages when trying to start the application.  The failures are not consistent across each machine.  Some machines work fine, but the Find tool might not allow navigation or the color palette doesn't come up (requiring RGB values to be entered).  Others require an uninstall/reinstall every three or four days

My steps 

1.  Installation

*  Uninstalled and reinstalled to 10.3.1 (seemed to work with 10.2.2 also)

*  If you can, set concurrent use licensing to advanced.   I got it to work with lower categories after the initial installation

*  After installation, rename (if it is still there) the default geodatabase to something like default_old.gdb.

I found it in c:\users\{user profile}\My Documents\ArcGIS.   If you see a bunch of them (Default, Default1, etc), I

would try copying them into a backup directory if you are uncomfortable deleting them all.

*  I also got rid of the ESRI profile  (c:\users\{user profile}\AppData\Roaming\ESRI).  It will recreate itself when

you start ArcMap.  (again, rename it, if you are uncomfortable)

2.  First run

*  My first run, I ran the application from the user's profile as an administrator.   It would not run the first time without elevated priviliges.   Thereafter, it worked fine.

3.  Miscellaneous

*  I could not make direct connections at first.  A little sleuthing showed that the database login for the generic "read only" user account had a default database set to an edit database it was not mapped to.  As this account was made via geoprocessing tool, it did not occur to me to check it at first.  This caused strange error messages when trying to make a direct connection.

In this era of application development, it is truly a shame that there is not better exception handling and reporting in their startup routine.