Arcade, Returning the Date for Time Enabled Data Frame

12-07-2018 08:07 PM
LoganAshmore1
New Contributor III

Is it possible to use arcade to return the date that is currently being shown in a time enabled map? For instance, if I wanted to create an arcade formula that changed symbology based on the difference between the date that the feature was created and the year currently being displayed in the time slider (say the feature was created in 2001, and each year that passed on the slider I wanted the transparency to increase or size to decrease...slider year - 2001 ....)? Or if I had a pop-up, and wanted the current date of the time slider to be shown.

The only functions I've been able to find return the current date on the machine. Something like max($feature.<date_field>) also will not work, as the max function appears to query the data row, not the column. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Logan Ashmore ,

I like that idea, although it is currently not possible to do this with Arcade and this could have a performance impact. With the update of ArcGIS Online you have a new global variable map$, but this is not available at the visualization profile. I could see this being added to the visualization profile and have some properties added like the current time of the time-enabled map. Perhaps at this point the best thing you can do is to create an idea and post back the URL here so we can upvote your idea. 

CC Kelly Gerrow‌ , Paul Barker   (do you think this is something we may see in the future?)

LoganAshmore1
New Contributor III

Hi Xander Bakker,

Thanks for the response. At least I know that I don't need to spend any more time trying to make this work. I took your recommendation and posted the idea:
https://community.esri.com/ideas/15975 

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I voted for it, but remember that you should vote for it too.

0 Kudos