Offline/Disconnected editing support for Silverlight/WPF API

10-22-2010 11:29 AM
EricDaniel
Occasional Contributor III
 WPF, Silverlight Out-of-Browser, and Windows Phone 7 all have the ability to work in a disconnected/offline mode since they all can be often consider client applications.  The idea here is for the ArcGIS Silverlight/WPF API to fully support this offline/disconnected ability in Sliverlight, WPF, and Windows Phone 7.  Therefore,  a user can make edits while offline/disconnected and when they become connected again these edits would then update back to the Server's geodatabase.  
14 Comments
JohnStreeb
Why not just use ArcMobile; from everything I've read that's pretty much exactly what it was developed for, so, it's likely to be well suited to your needs and potentially require much less back-end customization and configuration on the application, connection, and server sides of things.
EricDaniel
The advantage with the Silverlight/WPF API would be code re-use from a Desktop WPF or Out of Browser Silverlight App.  You could reuse most of your code for the Windows Phone 7 app.  I would be much tougher with ArcGIS Mobile since it uses WinForms.  Also, with Microsoft's recent changes with Windows Mobile, I not sure how much longer a life ArcGIS Mobile will have in it's current state. The ArcGIS Mobile SDK still on uses the .NET 3.5 so that makes you wonder right there. 
AllenInstruments
Totally agree with "wilbeav" on being able to use the same product, in this case the SL/WPF API for online/offline development.
I think ESRI should start thinking about consolidating their products as opposed to continuing on the current trend (ArcPad, ArcMobile, WebADF, WebMapping APIs, etc...)
Both Silverlight and HTML5 now allow online/offline capabilities.

DanielBaternik
This is essential imo, we need this technology today! ArcMobile is now as relevant as Windows Mobile 6.5 (aka Windows Phone 'Classic'). 

ESRI customers are laregly enterprise customers, so we need this support in the API asap. Whilst WP7 is a consumer targetted platform at present, MS have stated that enteprise focused flavours are in the works. With that news, there is no doubt that enterprise device manufactuers will adopt WP7. 

MathiasWestin
Agree, this is an important use case for any device that might be offline/slow bandwith for a while. It's not only important for editing it's also important for downloading layers before going into an area where the phone vill be offline/disconnected.
JohnnyBjörk
Yes, it's a must have...
MattMiley2
agree
EricDaniel
 It was announced by David Cadella of Esri at the Dev Summit that all of the Smartphone API's will add offline use cases by the ArcGIS 10.1 timeframe, so likely a beta by this Summer.  That said, I'm confused there isn't a "Under Consideration' notification on this Idea listing.  
EsriAGSIdeas
 This will be implemented in a future release.
DanielBaternik
Can you give us a timeframe for when it will be include? Next release? 

We have so many projects required this functionality now :(