STANAG support

03-17-2017 12:10 AM
nita14
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

I am wondering what Esri does in order to support more STANAGs in the ArcGIS Platform. Particularly, I am interested in the following standards:

- 4545 (no export by default, no support of Image Coordinate System, some issues with tags in the NITF extension)

- 4609 (in ArcGIS Runtime)

As App6-B is no longer supported in ArcGIS Platform, when can we expect support for creation of custom symbol dictionaries and rule engine (ArcGIS Pro + Runtime)?

Many thanks for feedback,

Adam

9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Adam,

At a high level, we have a team that works closely with NATO. They keep track of relevant STANAGs, and work to get support them in the ArcGIS Platform. On your specific ones:

- 4545 - NSIF - We support this with the NITF for ArcGIS Extension - http://www.esri.com/industries/defense/nitf

- 7023 - I don't have information on support for this one

- 4607 - Nothing out of the box, but customers have integrated GMTI using this standard with ArcGIS.

- 4609 - FMV add-in fully supports MISB data that adheres to the standard outlined in STANAG 4609. However, we have not yet integrated our FMV add-in with Runtime. Our next release will be to integrate it with ArcGIS Pro in addition to ArcMap. Then we will tackle integration with Runtime, but that is probably not until next year to have something released.

Creation of custom symbol dictionaries is planned to be supported for Runtime Update 100.2 later this year. With Runtime Update 100.1, we are planning on releasing an APP-6(B) style file through the proper channels with NATO. We will make an announcement with more details once this is ready.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Gary

nita14
by

Hi Gary,

Thank you for great answers. Please, let me elaborate more on them:

ad 4545) Indeed, but it is not as not good as competitors solutions like RemoteView or so. Also, as I mentioned, it is not an out-of-the box feature.

ad 4607) Is it possible to give examples of these customers? It would be useful.

ad App-6b) Great to hear that! What exactly do you mean by saying -

through the proper channels with NATO

how can we, as developers, have an access to this dictionary?

Also, does Esri plan to support COSMO-SkyMed as an Mosaic Dataset item? Any plans for more extensive support for radar data?

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
KerryRobinson
Esri Contributor

Hi Adam,

ad 4545) Indeed, but it is not as not good as competitors solutions like RemoteView or so. Also, as I mentioned, it is not an out-of-the box feature.

Can you expand more on what you would like to see supported with our support?

ad 4607) Is it possible to give examples of these customers? It would be useful.

Unfortunately we cannot share those implementations.

ad App-6b) Great to hear that! What exactly do you mean by saying -
through the proper channels with NATO

how can we, as developers, have an access to this dictionary?

Because APP-6(B) is marked NATO UNCLASSIFIED, we are unable to distribute support for it with our COTS products.  Therefore we need to distribute it through NATO. We are still working out the logistics of how this will work, and will be sure to update you once we know.

Also, does Esri plan to support COSMO-SkyMed as an Mosaic Dataset item? Any plans for more extensive support for radar data?

We currently support COSTMO-SkyMed in HDF5 format.

I'm bringing in Vinay Viswambharan‌ so he can address our plans for supporting radar data.

Thanks,

Kerry

VinayViswambharan
Esri Contributor

We have the python raster type which enables users to write their own custom raster types. While we will continue to  improve our support  for newer sensors, the python raster type makes it much more easier for our users to add support for newer (or unsupported) sensors. These raster types can be implemented fairly easily, plugged into the system, and then used to create mosaic datasets. We can provide you with samples and  more information if interested.

Regards,

Vinay

nita14
by

Vinay,

Yes, I am very interested. Could you please point me the 'python raster type' documentation? Is the 'python raster type' supported by ArcGIS Runtime? or maybe it is a way of providing custom raster support in the future Runtime releases? What version of ArcGIS was it introduced at? Also, samples and more information is always welcome.

Thank you very much,

Adam

0 Kudos
nita14
by

vinayv-esristaff‌, could you please share with me the details regarding the "python way" of extending rasters?

Thanks,

Adam 

0 Kudos
VinayViswambharan
Esri Contributor

Adam,

The python raster type will be  'officially' supported with documentation in 10.5.1

Unfortunately its not documented in 10.5, as there are a few kinks that needed to be ironed out.

regards,

Vinay

nita14
by

Vinay,

Looking forward to see this capabilty in the next update. Thank you.

Adam

0 Kudos
nita14
by

Kerry,

thank you for valuable input. I double checked supported raster types by ArcGIS, and in fact I must have been blind not seeing that hd4&5 is already supported.

Regards,

Adam

0 Kudos